 General / 22294
Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 04:00:20 GMT

In lugnet.general, Matthew Miller writes:
Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote:
result in it even being possible that the LEGO mold costs LESS than the mold
Robert describes. That would also suggest some of why the sets with SPUDs • cost
significantly more, they don't get the same volume efficiencies in the whole
molding process.

Which begs the question: why not make less SPUDs?

Because they believe (and I partially agree) that SPUDs can allow them to
produce sets which have more substance to them (in the form of larger
constructions) for a given production cost. Take a triangular BURP for
example, to build it out of bricks would take at least 15 bricks or so. If
they can "sell" a BURP for $1, that's cheaper than 15 bricks for $1.50. Also,
the real SPUDs allow them to make things which look better. Sure, you could
make dinos from bricks instead of using SPUDs, but the resulting dinos would
look like some toy from the 50s instead of a toy for the new millenium (of
course the reason we often dislike the SPUDs is because we value the play
values of the 50s over those of the new millenium). I bet it wouldn't be hard
to find a kid who I could trade a dino to for a couple train doors and windows.

So far, I have actually found a large number of the SPUDs or SPUDlike pieces
very good. Evil Stevie's (Steve Jackson) Pirate Game wouldn't happen without
the pirate ship SPUDs (hull pieces and sails). Trains would be pretty boring
without some of the SPUDlike pieces. How much use can you find for a train
motor outside of building trains? Also, try and build a train layout without
using the train track SPUDs. Even the adventurer's car cockpit has some good
points (like getting two side by side seats into something which is about 6
studs wide).

Frank

Frank