 General / 16209
Re: Speculation on the nature of minifigs (moved from Dear LEGO)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 18:40:07 GMT

In lugnet.general, John VanZwieten writes:

Gary Istok <gistok@umich.edu> wrote in message
Gary Istok wrote:

OK as a professed LEGO Archeologist, and sometimes LEGO Anthropologist, • LEGO...
minifigs first showed up on the planet several decades ago.  They were a • limbless
species (known by their Latin name of Minifigicus Stifficanus) that first • evolved
circa 1973.  They were a faceless, limbless species that didn't survive • long
because of their handicaps.  In 1977 a new species evolved called • Minifigicus
Erectus, which developed arms, legs and faces.  This species is very • prolific, and
is still with us today.

I forgot to mention that there are those LEGO creationists who don't • believe that LEGO
Minifigs evolved.  They will have you believing that LEGO just miraculously • showed up
on the planet via divine intervention.  Don't be fooled by these zealots! • LEGO
Minifigs WERE an evolutionary process!!

So where's the "missing link" between Minifigicus Stifficanus and Minifigicus
Erectus?

I spoke with the learned (and opinionated) Dr. Cornelius(1) on this
subject not long ago, and here is what he said to me:

"You fools! Ze minifig race is nicht deschended from zese 'schtiffies'!
Zat is absurdt! Zey haff no limbs!  Ve are clearly deschended from ze
common brown 'tree monkey'! I haff a theory that zese 'schtiffies' are
some form of convergent evoluschion, possibly from zhe reptilian
alligators who clearly schare ze same lack of mobile limbs!"

Er, so, there you have it - Stiffies are descended from reptiles, while
regular minifigs are descended from monkeys.

(I asked him where dragons fit in, being as they share traits with both
the fixed-limb alligators and the mobile-limb monkeys and minifigs, but
the good Doctor simply began swearing loudly in German and throwing things
at me, so I felt that it was best to leave that discussion for another
time.)

(1) - For more on Dr. Cornelius, see the MOC section of my web page at:
http://people.ne.mediaone.net/sakura