 General / 16221
Re: Speculation on the nature of minifigs (moved from Dear LEGO)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 21:06:47 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.general, Gary R. Istok writes:

OK as a professed LEGO Archeologist, and sometimes LEGO Anthropologist,
LEGO... minifigs first showed up on the planet several decades ago.  They were
a limbless species (known by their Latin name of Minifigicus Stifficanus) that
first evolved circa 1973.  They were a faceless, limbless species that didn't
survive long because of their handicaps.  In 1977 a new species evolved called
Minifigicus Erectus, which developed arms, legs and faces.  This species is
very prolific, and is still with us today.

hi y'all ~

  i recently inquired under luget.FAQ as to what was the first articulated
mini-fig.  in all of the great responses, i uncovered set #208, (look up the
pic; worth a thousand words) which supports my theory that modern mini-figs
evolved from bendyarmicus rather than from the lil' stiffies. perhaps it was
cross-breeding between the two.

What I want to know is what happened to the now extinct "Biggus Bendyarmicus"?
They do share some resemblance to "Technicus Maximus" in terms of size but
otherwise this spieces seems to have disappeared even though an occasional arm
segment will appear in a set from time to time (A truely gruesome site).

  i still have my bendyarmicai from my childhood collection, and using the
newer arm segments (and grey hands from new construction sets) have been
able to give some interesting make-overs and even create new versions.

I also have a problem with Minifig Genetics.  For example why are the following
true.

1.  Only women have Red Hair.
2.  All women are born with and must wear lipstick.
3.  All Minifigs no matter what the age are the same size.
4.  All Minifigs have a gruesome bump on top of their head.
5.  All Minifigs have elbows that don't bend.
6.  Male Minifigs outnumber Female Minifigs by about an 80% to 20% ratio.
7.  Depression is none existant (just look at all the smiles)
8.  Some figs have microphones or glasses perminantly attached to their heads.
9.  Minifigs have no knee's.
10. Minifigs can stand for ages in the same position and not get tired.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

View My Creations at:
http://www.nelug.org/members/kingsley/

  given this list, the mini-figs must think we (humans) are quite grotesque,
lacking a head-peg as we do, and having limbs that bend in too many places.
(not to mention the weird non-jaundice color of our skin.) #7 and #10 sound
more like genetic advantages actually, though!  the rules are bent a bit in
the land of craigo-lego, and microphones and glasses need not stay
permanently attached.  my female mini-fig population ratio is a bit more
like 40%, too.

  love those mini-figs!

  later ~ craig~