 Events / BricksWest / 774
Re: BW04? (Re: Saturday General Session Announcements)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:59:03 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Ray Silva wrote:
I'd really like to hear more from folks that aren't in Southern Cal,
Northern Cal or the NW as to what they are looking for in attending a brick
con.

Ok, but I'll warn you, I'm biased.

So far, it's mainly us westcoasters that have been commenting about
why it should or shouldn't be held in someone's own backyard.  But those
that have to travel no matter where it's held, if it were held on the West
Coast, what is it that motivates you to go to the con IN ADDITION TO it
being a gathering of AFOLers?

I did it because we have a wealth of Lego builders in our region,  (Seattle~ish) spread over three clubs with lots of cross polination.  I do it for community, both Lego fan and non fan.  I do it to get the word out how cool Lego is.  I do it because I can't afford to go somewhere else.   I do it because it is fun.

- Is Legoland that appealing of a location?  (Paul is correct, the prices
around Legoland are not inexpensive and Legoland is not designed for this
type of activity either, unless it was a Lego Corp run event and they had
some tents set up in the parking lot like they have done from time to time
for other special promos.)

Eh, not particuarily.  It's got a cool "wow" factor, that cannot be denied.  But
from my understanding, as far as a con style venue goes, it blows.  Again, I'm
biased, function over form matters to me.

- Shouldn't a Lego Store, Outlet Shop, Park, etc. be within close proximity
to the venue chosen?  (How many folks that went to BW02 and BW03, or the
numerous BF's go to the venue because they could purchase Lego from a close
by Lego shop?  If that's the case, then that limits the number of locations
in the US.)

I give this a good solid, "no."  I know there aren't any in the NW and look at the concentration of fans here.   If anything, I think Lego should make an effort to set up a vendor booth at the cons.  Supports the event, give the fans what they want, also the money would be good...

- What time of the year makes sense for the show to be held?  Would "spring
break" be better for most folks?

woof.  When you figure that one out let me, Christina, and Matt know would you?
Too many factors to answer easily I'm afraid.  What one does, really, is figures
what works for the folks who'll be hosting it then schedule appropriately.  We
picked our date because it put it approximately 6 months out from BW, was three
months out from BF (at the time) and was a good balance of not interferring with
holidays, and something for families to do once the weather got bad and kids
were back in school.

HTH

Mark Neumann