 Events / BricksWest / 742
Re: Saturday General Session Announcements
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 03:26:25 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Dave Johann wrote:
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
unfortunately BricksWest will not be able to continue next year.

Interesting. So those of us who would likely be involved in attempting to set an
event up are conveniently left out of the loop while the event itself is moved
more than 1000 miles north of it's original location and well out of the realm
of possibility for attending for most of the southwestern US.

This announcement and the lack of information leading up to it does not even
begin to express how infuriated I am right now.

Now, perhaps if someone can unzip their lips and actually release some freaking
information so we can come to a REASONABLE solution to this 'problem' of BW4002
disappearing into the ether....I don't even want to finish this statement. I'm
too upset right now.

Thanks, Mark, for getting my attention on this one.

-Dave (who's surprised that he's the one losing his temper over this
announcement before anyone else.)

Here's what I can pass along-

At the SIGGRAPH here in San Diego, Steve B. told me about the idea of a "west
coast" Brickfest and all of us (Tim was there too) agreed that the MIA Matt G.
would make it difficult to have a BW in 2K4.

Admittedly, I was a bit disappointed to hear the idea of taking it up north but
Steve did tell me that it would be a rotating event in terms of where it would
be held (Seattle then Portland then Bay area then So Cal, some order like that).
Do I like the moving around idea?  Honestly, I don't have a definitive answer.
My only question at this moment with the plan is if the event was held in
Seattle, then wouldn't they be getting a 2'fer?  Don't they already have the
Northwest Brick Convention?

Here is my proposal for a west coast BF:

1. The heck w/ LL-CA and move it to the Disneyland-Anaheim area.  Lodging is
something that is seriously lacking at LL.  OTOH, Disneyland is loaded w/ hotels
around it AND it will be that time of year for off-season hotel rates.

2. Facilities to hold this event could be easier to come by w/ all the stuff
that's in the area.

3. Disneyland CA is home to the LEGO Imagination Center where we can go shop
around and hopefully in the near future pick-a-brick will be available there
too.

4. (note: this last reason is subject to debate)  LL just doesn't have the "go"
it used to (speaking for myself).  Many, if not most, of us AFOL's have gone to
LL enough times that the park is having that "same o'l, same o'l" effect, except
pick-a-brick.  But pick-a-brick won't be a park exclusive much longer.

Just my $.02

Adr.