 Events / BricksWest / 755
Re: Saturday General Session Announcements
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 19:35:27 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickswest, David Laswell wrote:

     If you read exactly what was written, without superimposing any unstated
ideas on top of it, you'll see that _NOTHING_ is moving.  The name BricksWest is
owned by the MIA owner of Bricks Magazine, and considering how long it has been
since anyone has heard anything in regards to that, I'd be very surprised if
BW04 preparation is on schedule either.  Since he _owns_ the name, you can't
legally have "BricksWest" without him.  Period.

Fair enough. Though that wasn't what was presented to us yesterday, but fine,
we'll go with your analysis for now.

What I see here is that a group
of people decided that there's no point in sitting around and waiting until
February to see if BW04 is going to happen or not, so they're trying to put
together a new Pacific Coast convention for 2004 before it's too late.

Partly true. What I see is a group of people trying to put together an event
more than 1000 miles away on the same weekend the any attempted BW event would
occur. In addition, they are placing it in an area uninhabitted by any LUGs so
as to ensure little fan participation outside the Portland metropolitan area.

Yes, I
agree that bumping it that far north makes it very difficult for the SoCal+ area
to attend, but then again, I live in Michigan, so you'll have to forgive me if I
don't have a lot of sympathy to spare you in that regard.  I don't have BF, I
don't have BW, I don't have LLCA, and the nearest LEGO store is half a day away.

Not looking for sympathy -  just looking for answers, as Mark P and I have
already explained.

     I've been seeing people moan about this for most of a day now, and it's
getting to be a bit much, considering that's all anyone is doing.  You need to
realize that you aren't in the same basket as the residents of Milwaukee who had
GenCon taken away from them this year (and by extension the world championships
of most CCGs, biggest announcements from most RPGs, and what's generally the
cream of the Con guests).

Hey, I've been trying to get to GenCon for more than 20 years now - guess what?
I couldn't do it because of it's location. That's the cross we all have to bear.
No one is geographicly desirable in this hobby.

Noone is moving BricksWest.  It's just that after
months of not hearing a peep from the owner, noone expects it to even happen
next year.  One group of people is trying to put together a replacement, and
they've decided to start it out in Oregon.  They aren't the "official"
replacement.  Noone is.  If you really want a SoCal/LLCA brick convention, go
start one up yourselves while you've still got time, and please stop complaining
that other people are taking BW away from you.

Fine. That's exactly what I've been trying to garner support for, but you
butting in when you've got no intention of joining the effort aren't helping
matters any. I believe the term 'put up or shut up' comes into play here, PD.

     For myself, I'm not sure why anyone would want to go to Portland in
February and hang out in 50 degree or lower temperatures when they could be
hanging out in sunny SoCal.  I also don't think the idea of a roving major con
is going to fly very well.  I expect what will happen is that people will stop
travelling to it unless it's closer to where they live, and what you'll
basically end up with is a staggered series of isolated mini-cons that show up
every couple of years and don't have a lot of cross-attendance.

Now we're on the same page. I have no problem with a roving con, but if it's
roving over an area more than 1000 miles wide, I see exactly what you're talking
about.

There was even
a lot of apprehension about how well GenCon would fare after moving two states
away on a semi-permanent basis (there's been talk of Milwaukee trying to woo
them back, but I think the glut of available hotel space will be enough to keep
them where they are for quite a few years to come).  You lose the ability to
atract world-of-mouth visitors at each location if they end up having to wait
3-4 years to go to an event that their friends were talking about last year.
Worse yet, every new place you bounce around to is just one more year before you
even start to see any of the first batch of WoM visitors (those that still
remember wanting to go, at least).

Uh, yeah. I got it. I'm just trying to absorb it.

Personally, I think Adrian's idea of placing a new con in Aneheim is the best
I've heard so far. While we might not have the type of fan we're looking for
attending the con, we at least have access to plenty of space, Lego, and hotels.

So far, that's the best 'plan' I've heard - far better than something haphazard
going up in Portland.

-Dave