 Events / BricksWest / 761
Re: Saturday General Session Announcements
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 05:40:04 GMT

     First of all, Dave, I'd like to apoligize to you if you felt I was jumping
down your throat personally.  I read LUGNET from the main News page, I got sick
of seeing people complaining about the situation without actually trying to do
anything about it, and your post was simply the most convenient one to reply to.

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Dave Johann wrote:
Fair enough. Though that wasn't what was presented to us yesterday, but fine,
we'll go with your analysis for now.

     I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here.  Matt owns the
BricksWest name and noone can legally run an event by that name without his
permission.  The proposed replacement was being called BrickFest PDX, which is
apparently an extension of the east coast BrickFest trademark (which also can't
be used without the owners' permission, but I have no idea who they are).  I
don't recall ever hearing a direct statement that "BricksWest" was moving,
though I heard quite a bit of outrage from people who seem to think they did.

Partly true. What I see is a group of people trying to put together an event
more than 1000 miles away on the same weekend the any attempted BW event >would occur.

     Fair enough.  And without knowning why they want to do it in Portland, I
can see why it would upset you.  Now we know that the reason is because they can
get 6000 square feet of _FREE_ convention space.  If you really think about it,
that's a big deal when you're trying to get a new convention off the ground on
such short notice, even if the location won't be entirely optimal next year.

In addition, they are placing it in an area uninhabitted by any LUGs so
as to ensure little fan participation outside the Portland metropolitan area.

     The only thing that ensures a lack of fan participation is fans refusing to
participate.  Larry is also from Michigan, and he sounds more enthusiastic about
participating in the Portland event than anyone from California right now.  And
if, after all is said and done, it comes down to a choice between travelling to
Portland or travelling to D.C. to go to the nearest major brick convention,
which makes more sense to you?

Not looking for sympathy -  just looking for answers, as Mark P and I have
already explained.

     I'm not looking for either.  I'm just looking for a return of calmness to
the LUGNET News server.

Hey, I've been trying to get to GenCon for more than 20 years now - guess
what? I couldn't do it because of it's location. That's the cross we all have
to bear. No one is geographicly desirable in this hobby.

     I realize that.  I'd been there twice in college, but I haven't been able
to go again since getting my current job (partly because my boss goes, which
isn't likely to change any time soon).  It sucks, but you can't be everywhere
unless you're independantly wealthy.

Fine. That's exactly what I've been trying to garner support for, but you
butting in when you've got no intention of joining the effort aren't helping
matters any. I believe the term 'put up or shut up' comes into play here, PD.

     I did "put up".  I saw people complaining that something was being forcibly
taken away from them when it wasn't.  I didn't see anyone openly trying to do
anything about the situation (other than complain).  From where I was standing,
it looked like you guys needed a push to get you out of the denial stage (both
for the probable end of BricksWest, and for the possibility of Portland being
the new event location) and moving on to more productive discussion.  I voiced
my opinion on how the situation was being dealt with by the community, I pointed
out a few inaccuracies in how the situation was being viewed, and then I tossed
out some unbiased thoughts on the proposed new event based on what we'd been
told.  Perhaps it wasn't as gentle of a push as it could/should have been, but
it got your attention at least.  And short of moving out west there's not much
more "put up" I can get from here.

Personally, I think Adrian's idea of placing a new con in Aneheim is the best
I've heard so far. While we might not have the type of fan we're looking for
attending the con, we at least have access to plenty of space, Lego, and
hotels.

So far, that's the best 'plan' I've heard - far better than something
haphazard going up in Portland.

     That's what I'd been thinking, until I read Larry's post where he mentioned
the bit about free convention space.  Even without having to pay for the hall,
getting a new convention going from scratch on such short notice is going to
require a lot of hard work and probably a significant amount of cash as well.
If you still want it to be in California, someone is going to have to drop some
serious cash on event space.