 Castle / 8877
Re: July surprise for castle fans!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 21:23:30 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Kevin Knoot writes:
With comments like those, I did feel the need to let it be known that there
are people out there that want castle walls in bulk fairly badly.

Absoloutely fine. Heck, that's probably why Anthony started this part of the
thread. And I certainly agree that there are those who want 'em. I guess
what I was suprised at was the sarcasm. [FUTting to o-t.debate just in
case]. If you want to acknowledge that you like the bricks, cool-- I fully
encourage you. I just wasn't expecting a hostile response...

I hear
Lego does read this board on occasion.  I do have some difficulty
understanding why people would go out of their way to dump vitriol on what
someone else may want.

Well... yeah. That's kinda why I was suprised by your post. Or maybe it was
just because you responded to me specifically and I didn't remember knocking
the standard castle wall piece myself. Mostly what I was trying to say was
"I wouldn't really be interested in that specifically, I'm interested in
this other thing."

You certainly can understand that some people
*could* be hurt and offended by such an outpouring of opposition to the
possibility of Lego making available pieces which they have long hoped for?
I can understand not wanting something - I have more windshield pieces than
I care to count, and if I had 500 walls I probably wouldn't want them
either.  But just because I've no real desire for pitchforks & Queen's hats
in bulk, let alone train or town bits, it doesn't mean I'm going to go
around wishing they weren't made, possibly influencing Lego in the process.

Well-- this is kinda why I made a point to respond. I honestly don't know
what the majority of people want. Maybe the majority of people build with
them, maybe they don't. I know which side *I'm* on, but that's all I know.
Now, if nobody says anything, and the majority's on my side, then maybe
that's sending the wrong message-- on the other hand, if there's a LOT of
requests for castle walls and it IS in the majority, then TLC might very
well indeed have a better chance of profit by making them instead of what I
want. I dunno. I'm not knocking what other people want-- I mean, if it had
been up to me, TLC would never have made a Pirate theme, or Wild West, or
ThrowBots, or CyberSlam, or PRIMO, or Insectoids, or one of a BUNCH of
things[1]. But some people like 'em. So I don't personally object to them.
But if they want my input, there it is. I'm not out to say other people's
tastes are wrong or anything, I'm just trying to state my opinion. Because
the last thing I want is to find out later that EVERYONE wanted what I
wanted, and that NOBODY wanted what was actually made available, and that by
speaking up, maybe we would've had a chance at something we'd all enjoy. And
clearly, that's not the case, but I certainly don't want to keep my opinions
quietly to myself.

But then, I've always taken the 'play well' line to heart.

Well, I guess all I can say is that I think you could have expressed your
opinion without the nasty-ish sarcasm. Actually, I think you did quite a
good job with the other post: http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=8870 and just
not such a good job in the more recent one:
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=8872

Kevin, still waiting for someone to unload those excess walls on him.

I think I've actually used all my castle walls (well, ok, grey ones) on 3
occasions-- I went through and built every classic castle I owned just to
see what sort of grandiose castle I could make from 'em. Kinda cool,
actually, although I seem to remember 6062 constantly falling over thanks to
it being completely straight :) Maybe it's time for another re-build of the
classics!

DaveE

[FUTted to debate just in case]

[1] - Actually, I remember wishing the only thing Lego made was space
sets... I looked at the catalogs with castle and town and thought "gee,
wouldn't it be so much cooler if they just made space stuff?" Then I
actually GOT a 6080. That changed my mind real quick. And I've been hooked
on castle ever since :)