 Castle / 9170
Re: Extinct Castle pieces (Re: July surprise for castle fans!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 20:00:51 GMT

David Eaton wrote:

In lugnet.castle, John Carroll writes:
Extinct and out of production are two different things.  When the whole LEGO
direct discussion started (about a year ago?) a Lego representive said
something about reusing old molds and that they don't get rid of the old
molds.  but some really old ones become useless.  (someone correct me if I'm
remembering this inncorectly)

Huh... I guess I was never told that this was "top secret" information or
anything, and I'm not even sure it's true, but what I had heard was that the
molds are destroyed if they're not going to be used-- And from what it sounded
like the molds were pretty well disposed of.

I take this to mean that sitting in a big LEGO warehouse are molds that
aren't current.  (they can't produce all current parts at all time so they
must store the molds that aren't producing pieces right this instant
somewhere too).  So I'd guess that they still have molds for many of the
older but currently unavaliable pieces.

I would hope so. Heck, I'd even think so were I not told otherwise. Certainly
I'd keep the old molds... I think it just tied back to the TLC being so
ridiculously secretive thing... But I sure hope I'm misinformed :)

I think they only destroy molds which are no longer useable. Remember,
we just had a re-introduction of a part not seen in ages, the Yellow
Castle bib style armor (in the Women's Soccer Team).

- Euro armor
- Plastic cape
I still think that the mold is realitivly new.  or at least not old

Yeah, the last time I can think it (the cape) was in use was probably 1993 or
1994, since the WP figs had them... As for the Euro armor... Hmm... Maybe '93
since it came out in that accessory pack that had majisto's hat (which was
first relased 1993)... Maybe as late as '94?

The plastic cape was recently used in the set in LEGO Loco.

Frank