 Castle / 9160
Re: Extinct Castle pieces (Re: July surprise for castle fans!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 17:06:51 GMT

In lugnet.castle, John Carroll writes:
Extinct and out of production are two different things.  When the whole LEGO
direct discussion started (about a year ago?) a Lego representive said
something about reusing old molds and that they don't get rid of the old
molds.  but some really old ones become useless.  (someone correct me if I'm
remembering this inncorectly)

Huh... I guess I was never told that this was "top secret" information or
anything, and I'm not even sure it's true, but what I had heard was that the
molds are destroyed if they're not going to be used-- And from what it sounded
like the molds were pretty well disposed of.

I take this to mean that sitting in a big LEGO warehouse are molds that
aren't current.  (they can't produce all current parts at all time so they
must store the molds that aren't producing pieces right this instant
somewhere too).  So I'd guess that they still have molds for many of the
older but currently unavaliable pieces.

I would hope so. Heck, I'd even think so were I not told otherwise. Certainly
I'd keep the old molds... I think it just tied back to the TLC being so
ridiculously secretive thing... But I sure hope I'm misinformed :)

- Single clip saddle
doubtful that this would hold up the reissue of a set.  they would just use
a 2 clip saddle in it's place.  I don't think that the saddle is that
important and they would just replace it.

Agreed-- I think this is a re-tooling, just like the 1x1 plates w/ clips being
squared off at the ends, or the technic friction pegs using slots, or the
minifig head studs being hollow, etc. I don't think it'd prevent the set from
being released-- But for collector's purposes, it would be a good thing that
it'd have a new set #.

- Euro armor
- Plastic cape
I still think that the mold is realitivly new.  or at least not old

Yeah, the last time I can think it (the cape) was in use was probably 1993 or
1994, since the WP figs had them... As for the Euro armor... Hmm... Maybe '93
since it came out in that accessory pack that had majisto's hat (which was
first relased 1993)... Maybe as late as '94?

- 3x5? square door?
I don't know

It was used in at least one Wild West set in '96... dunno about its appearance
since then...

- Old style axe?
used in westren (are you talking about the hatchet?) recent

Doh, actually, no, but the ones I meant DO come in 6091 (as someone reminded
me)

- Forestmen cap.
realitivly new.

Last used in '96 with Dark Forest, I think...

- Pitchfork.
hmmm.  it's been about 10 or so years huh?  I hope they still have the mold
for that

Last seen in 1990 in the Crusader's cart I think

- 16x22 baseplates (as per 6080, and 6080 only?)
???????

Yes indeed-- 16x22 green baseplates. I certainly don't have any of these in any
other color from any other set.... I've got a couple 16x24's but no other
16x22's... Although I think someone noted that they might just be "cut" from a
large sheet of baseplate when made? So a mold wouldn't be a problem in that
case...

- Classic space helmets w/ visors (classic yellow-style)
- 1x1 w/ square headlight (classic yellow)
These are pretty old probablly long gone.

Yeah... knight visors last seen in catalogs in 1983, and the helmets last seen
in probably 1988/89?

- Round shields w/ single stud
I really hope the mold for this still exists, again about 10 years or so.

This one I dunno about. It showed up in trans-red too as a radar in a couple
space sets, so I dunno if this one has made any appearances in the last 10
years, but maybe...

It will be interesting to see if they make subitutions or hold exactly to
the original design.  I'm still hoping for reissue of the crusader and black
falcon lines.

Yeah, for the most part, I don't particularly care about the pieces I
mentioned-- the only real exceptions being:
- pitchfork
- forestmen hat
- euro armor
- axe (but this is safe anyway)

What I REALLY want are the old printed pieces-- Black Falcons & Crusaders
especially, as these really were my two favorite classic designs. Heck, the
Black Falcon logo probably IS my favorite castle torso... If I were able to
build a massive (200+) army of these guys I'd be way content. :)

DaveE