 Castle / 18908
Re: banner year for castle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 23:25:34 GMT

Hello!

   Just asking-- are people actually suprised by these new sets? Personally, I think they’re very much in line with the new sets we’ve been seeing-- they’re *exactly* what I would expect most new minifig playthemes to look

Unfortunatelly I wasn’t surprised.

   1978, Set 375: South European sandstone castle from around year 1000
1984, Set 6080: British/Norman castle from around year 1100
1988, Set 6085: Central European castle from around year 1200
1992, Set 6086: British castle from around year 1300
1995, Set 6090: Northern European castle from around year 1400
2000, Set 6091: Central European castle from around year 1500

I don’t agree with your 6090-description. For me it’s a fantasy fairy tale castle rather than a building based on real castles. So are 6082 (1993) and 6097 (1997), though it renders the fictional Dracula-style quite well. Set 6074 (1986) looks like a French castle from the Loire area (maybe around the year 1500). As for 6073... Hm. It’s a random fortress anywhere anytime :-)

   With regards to the colored knights, please remember that the Lego castle origins in 1978 had brightly colored visors in very unrealistic colors - and I didn’t hear anyone fuzz about that?!??

Hehe, right. However, the helmet is grey resembling metal, only three visors are “peculiar coloured”. If you consider the black visor a darker shade of metal only two of four are even weird.

Bye
Jojo