 Castle / 18901
Re: banner year for castle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 07:51:37 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Eaton wrote:

Just asking-- are people actually suprised by these new sets? Personally, I
think they're very much in line with the new sets we've been seeing-- they're
*exactly* what I would expect most new minifig playthemes to look
DaveE

Yes, I for one am surpriced. After the Orient Adventurers China Fortress (with a
real roof, a frontside AND a backside), I had anticipated that this was the
style for the coming castle sets.
Additionally, I had expected a castle style from around year 1600 based on this
timeline:

1978, Set 375: South European sandstone castle from around year 1000
1984, Set 6080: British/Norman castle from around year 1100
1988, Set 6085: Central European castle from around year 1200
1992, Set 6086: British castle from around year 1300
1995, Set 6090: Northern European castle from around year 1400
2000, Set 6091: Central European castle from around year 1500

But this new main castle set from year 2004 has no specific style, no roof, no
backside (I'm guessing here), and hardly any frontside apart from the gate
itself.

With regards to the colored knights, please remember that the Lego castle
origins in 1978 had brightly colored visors in very unrealistic colors - and I
didn't hear anyone fuzz about that?!??

Arne, Copenhagen