 Castle / 18899
Re: banner year for castle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:47:54 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Rick Lash wrote:
Is there any chance that that picture is fake? The url certainly doesn't work
and seems like something that someone might add just to make it seem real ...
I guess it would take a lot of effort, but as someone pointed out, it just
doesn't seem like what we're used to.

Just asking-- are people actually suprised by these new sets? Personally, I
think they're very much in line with the new sets we've been seeing-- they're
*exactly* what I would expect most new minifig playthemes to look like, with the
possible exception of some of the train sets, which have as of late been less
juniorized than the rest of the minifig lines (Santa Fe, Train Shed, My Own
Train) [1].

Mostly, they're juniorized to fit with the target audience, giving them a
quicker build time and more "action" features than sets in the 70's, 80's, and
early 90's. They don't really provide much model-wise for us older or "more
serious" collectors, and likewise don't provide a solid selection of parts.
However, they feature a fantastic selection of accent pieces-- new colors for
some parts (BURPs, horse bardings), new molds (like the shields, swords,
helmets), and new printings (minifig heads, torsos, flags). The majority of the
set isn't as useful to us as we'd like, but hey, that's why we have things like
the Legends sets, bulk ordering, Pick-A-Brick, etc.

I suppose the only people with no recourse are the set collectors who want new,
cool Lego castle models to buy and display, who aren't impressed with the new
style-- which I guess I can sympathize with. But otherwise, I find that even if
some of the new stuff isn't for me, there's other sets out there that I'd much
rather spend my money on, like more copies of the Guarded Inn, or Black Falcon's
Fortress. IIRC didn't Rob Carney (the guy who builds those amazing models of
real castles) buy something like 70+ of this set back when it came out in 1986?
I know *I* can't get enough of those sets! :)

DaveE

[1] I 'spose there's also the MOC line's Blacksmith Shop, too.