 Castle / 18902
Re: banner year for castle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 08:19:10 GMT

Snip
In lugnet.castle, Arne Lykke Nielsen wrote:
Yes, I for one am surpriced. After the Orient Adventurers China Fortress(with
a real roof, a frontside AND a backside), I had anticipated that this was the
style for the coming castle sets.
Snip

I couldn't agree with you more, I too, had high hopes regarding any new castle
sets. I have three of the China Fortresses so far, and I will probably buy some
more if I catch them at a reduced price (great supply of black slopes).

Having seen the quality of this model, I was really looking forward to seeing
what they would produce in the castle line. I have the distinct impression that
these sets were designed (if I can use the word designed regarding the castle
sets) by different people.

The castle attempts remind me of the examples in the last ideas book, basically,
they look like something a four year old would put together out of any blocks
that come to hand.

Having looked at the link to the Megablock dragon sets posted earlier, my
feeling is, if the Megablock sets and the Lego castle sets were put side by side
and a group of children asked which they would prefer to play with, I think the
Lego sets would come out a poor second, and from what I recall of the  quality
of the earlier Megablock sets, their standard is improving all the time.

One of my local stores got a supply of the new Megablock sets in recently, they
were all sold in a couple of weeks, now you can't get them at all, one more
missed opportunity by Lego especially in this period of children wanting
fantasy/castle stuff encouraged by all the Lord Of The Rings hype.

Oh well, I suppose we can only hope that Lego will eventually begin to produce
well designed and thought out sets, with a story line tying them together, and
as a final note, I'm not sure who said it, but sorry, banner year for castle?