 Castle / 18904
Re: banner year for castle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:31:11 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Arne Lykke Nielsen wrote:
Yes, I for one am surpriced. After the Orient Adventurers China Fortress
(with a real roof, a frontside AND a backside), I had anticipated that this
was the style for the coming castle sets.

Oh? I guess I see both designs (new castle and China Fortress) as pretty much
the same thing, along with 6091/6098, Hogwarts Castle, World City train station,
World City Police HQ, 6636 Police HQ, and probably more. Mostly just a front
facade of a building, built mostly with columns for support in the back, and
1xNx5 bricks (and various other tidbits) for the front and side walls-- A far
cry from any previously released castle (short of some of the smaller sets)
which featured a full surrounding wall (not just a facade), and a bevy of
smaller bricks.

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by 'real roof' as far as the new castle goes
(IE why doesn't it have one?) and also what you mean by the China fortress
having a backside (it's really just open, except for the little dungeon thingy),
but you don't seem to think the new castle has one?

Really, I see this new castle as a near duplicate of 6091/6098. General build
style, minifig selection, play features, etc, are really the same. Heck, they
even both form a triangle-ish shape towards the center, have the same octagonal
turret pieces (placement left and right, very similar), and are built on the
same baseplate.

Additionally, I had expected a  castle style from around year 1600 based on
this timeline:

1978, Set 375: South European sandstone castle from around year 1000
1984, Set 6080: British/Norman castle from around year 1100
1988, Set 6085: Central European castle from around year 1200
1992, Set 6086: British castle from around year 1300
1995, Set 6090: Northern European castle from around year 1400
2000, Set 6091: Central European castle from around year 1500

Huh. I wasn't aware that the build styles of these castles were really
indicitive enough of a specific timeline. Well, honestly, I'd really doubt that
Lego was trying to do any sort of 'grand plan timeline' dataing back 25 years
(actually, I guess it'd be more like 27, since they spend a couple years in
preproduction before releasing a set), let alone even 5 years.

Out of curiosity, how would you classify this new castle? And, for that matter,
how would you classify the other "major castles" that weren't on your list?
(6073, 6074, 6081, 6082, 6097)

With regards to the colored knights, please remember that the Lego castle
origins in 1978 had brightly colored visors in very unrealistic colors - and
I didn't hear anyone fuzz about that?!??

Heh, yeah, that's the one big difference that I see really-- the minifigs are
probably the most unrealistic castle minifigs yet in terms of their brightly
colored armor, etc. On that note, I'd have to agree-- In fact... there seems to
be a *severe* lack of "soldier" minifigs, and vast stinking wodges of knights,
which is definitely a let-down. My kingdom for a minifig pack of castle
soldiers!

DaveE