 CAD / Development / 9928
Re: LDGlite and LPub
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:53:19 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:
Figures.  That just confused me again.  What does it mean by "The 4/3
aspect ratio is always maintained even if the (horizontal) viewing
angle is changed"?  Does l3p not allow tall skinny windows?  Should
(width/height) always be (4/3) even if the window is tall and skinny?
Or does it just mean the pov file will always contain the line:

  right    -4/3*x

(whatever that does.)

I assume that L3P allows the output to be any aspect ratio.

Not yet.  The current release always picks -4/3*x for the aspect ratio.
I know the negative sign is required to convert the y axis from ldraw
coords to POV.  I'm not sure how that gets worked into the upcoming
version of l3p, which does have a command line option to set the
aspect ratio (I just checked).  Ack!  More testing...

The page is a little confusing that way.  However, it's trying to tell
you how the camera angle argument works, going on the assumption you
haven't changed the aspect ratio.  Just substitute "width" for 4 and
"height" for 3 in various spots.

Well, I tried it and it seems to work.  I suppose L3P doesn't select
the image size, that's done by POV and it only seems to offer 3x4 shapes.
I guess that means that I should get the same size model as long as
the width of the ldglite window matches the width of the POV output
(after applying your math fix of course).

Oh, and I'm not really sure of the significance of the viewing angle
he chose, but it appears to be 2 * atan((height/2) / 3).

I think there was an explanation somewhere, but I don't remember it.
I'd actually prefer a more narrow angle (40 or so) as the default.
60 feels too fisheyed for me.  Balance the model on the tip of your
nose and you get about a 60 degree FOV on it.  Oh well.

Don