 CAD / Development / 9918
Re: LDGlite and LPub
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:25:31 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
I was able to make -mS work, but only if I backed way off on the 60000
number.

Yeah, that 60000 number plays havoc with a bunch of things.  You get a
lot of z-bleeding because the clipping planes are spread so far apart.
Maybe I get less depth bits on the offscreen buffer.  Gotta check.  And
I suppose I should borrow the l3p bounding box/sphere? algorithm from
the ldview sources and use that to set the clipping planes.  Of course
I've sorta been waiting for the new l3p before trying most of this stuff
because then you can use a real ortho view and skip tiny viewing angle
and teloscopic view stuff.  Oh well.

I just wasn't sure what to do with -z and -Z.  LPub has to manage ROTSTEPS and
such, so it pre-rotates the model into the desired view angle.  It also centers
the model in the process.  The default value of -z10 clips the front of the car
off.  Nice feature it that is waht you want.  I was able to back this toward the
camera a bit, but when I was getting all white image with 60000, I thought there
was an issue with clippping planes.

I'd rather not have to specify them at all.

Also, when I specify -i2 (PNG with alpha channel), is the background written out
as transparent?  I need this to happen for POV-Ray compatibility.

LDGlite will be a great alternate renderer compared to POV-Ray for its speed,
and ability to render edge lines.  Some will use it for preview of POV, and some
will just never use POV again.

  By the time LPub presents the car model to ldglite to render, LPub has
already applied ROTSTEP to the model, assuming the default 30,45 long/lat,
This is why LPub uses 0,0, instead of 30,45.

  Thanks for looking into this.

Sure.  So did you want me to fix the -mS and aspect ratio calculation,
or do you have a viable workaround?

Don

Kevin