 CAD / 11982
Re: LDGlite and LPub (and maybe ldview?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:36:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss wrote:
Heh, maybe in ldview, but not in ldglite.  You give me too much credit.
I don't do real transparency for transparent parts.  It's all dithered.
And the only values I output to the alpha channel are fully transparent
(with the png background color set to white) or completely opaque.  Your
caveat may come into play when an oversized image is sampled down
though because that might mix the dithering in with the background.

That would change things.

I'd better read up on png transparency though, because I don't know
what's the point of setting the png background color to white.

That color is used when you display it in a program that doesn't have any better
color to use.  In other words, if the image isn't put over some kind of
background, the color in the image is used.

Oh, and it probably also effects the antialiasing on all parts.

I believe you're correct on this one.  It looks OK on this antialiased
png, generated with the default white background.

  http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=81648

Well, it's mostly right.  But display it over a red background, and you'll see
that the antialiasing is actually updating the destination alpha on the whole
image.  You get red bleed-through on the edge lines in the middle of the image,
as well as around the edges.

But I don't know what it'll look like when done at 3x and then sampled
down to 1x.  I think that's the method used for the peeron images.
Not sure about the ldraw part tracker...

I think that what it looks like will completely depend on how smart the program
is that does the resampling.  Since the source image has all alpha at either 0%
or 100%, the background color shouldn't be used during the calculation of the
resampled color.  So it might look fine.  However, if the program blends all 4
channels blindly, then it won't look right.

--Travis