 CAD / Development / 8616
Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 19:31:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin L. Clague writes:
The ideal solution would to be to have one of these renderers as a DLL
library that I could use for this purpose.  A fast renderer that that
supports simple ambient, diffuse, specular reflection lighting model, mesh
triangle support (like LDView), and optional brick outlining (like LDlite)
would be ideal.

All of LDView's rendering code is actually already encapsulated into a
static library.  It's not a DLL because I decided that having the DLL
complicated the LDView distrubution overly much (especially for screen saver
support).

It wouldn't be exactly trivial to hook into because the library is actually
cross-platform capable, which means that it doesn't contain any MS Windows
calls.  This means you would have to create the OpenGL-capable window
yourself and handle mouse events.  On the other hand, it shouldn't be all
that difficult for a preview window, and it gives you full control, with the
same performance characteristics as the actual LDView app.  If you're
interested, let me know.  I may be able to create a simple MFC sample app
that uses my LDLib library directly.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)