 CAD / Development / 9892
Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 19:09:26 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jake McKee wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin L. Clague writes:

- To expand on this item from your list: "background images for construction
images and PLI"... this should also include background color only for the
sub models... which leads to my next point:

- Ability to modify settings per sub-model: It would be terrific to be able
to change preferences per submodel in a model. Reason: I sometimes need to
have different view angles on certain sub-models and not on others. Or
perhaps I want to change the background color on one submodel to be a
different color than another submodel (for use with assembly submodels). Or
I want to be able to select an option to include a submodel's parts in the
main BOM or not (for times when an instruction has alternative models). Or
if you wanted to have a sub-BOM for a submodel (still calculated in the main
BOM, but broken out by submodel, not by step/submodel)

This is about 8 enhancement requests you know.  Not just preferences per
sub-model, but also global BOM inclusion/exclusion per sub-model, plus
sub-model BOMs.

Yeah, I just started typing... :)

Looking at the above list seriously.....

You list a number of sub-model specific desires including:

1.  view angle on a sub-model basis.  You already have this using MLCad's
ROTSTEP meta-command.  ROTSTEP only applies to the file that contains it.  It
does not have an effect on sub-models or files that contain the sub-model with
ROTSTEP in it.

2. I'm providing default values (on a sub-model level basis) for background type
(transparent, solid color or image).  You will also have the ability to control
these on a sub-model by sub-model basis.  background statements at level N have
no effect on level N-1 or N+1.

3. I've added BOM BEGIN IGNORE/BOM END to the list of new features

4. I've already got support for sub-model BOM generation, but I have no support
for BOMs in the layout controls.

OK, so it was only about 4 requests.

...and bugs:

- Cancel dialog often stays up, unless the rendering is canceled just right

This is a bug.  It is not the behavior I intended.

Perhaps I should give a bit more detail. What I mean is even when operations
are canceled, or you actually click the "Cancel" button in this dialog, the
dialog still stays on screen.

- No memory on the "Open..." dialog. Always defaults to LDraw directory > Models

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  In what way is this a *bug*?  It is
exactly what I have designed it to do.  This is an enhancement request :^)

Bug in the sense that I have seen other windows applications do this, and it
is a great feature (for me anyway). So yes, enhance it, baby!

Added to the list.

Kevin