 CAD / Development / 8646
Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 15:38:04 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Mike Walsh writes:

"Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.cad.dev, Mike Walsh writes:

[ ... snipped ... ]

What struck me today is it would be nice if LPub supported a "proof" or
"thumbnail" mode that would generate all of the files based on the • current
LPub configuration but at a smaller image size.  I know I can manually • build
a "proof" or "thumbnail" config but it would nice if there was a simple
checkbox or radio button to toggle modes.

Hi Mike,

  I've added it to the list.  Minimally I could see it affecting • construction
image size, and possibly some quality and anti-aliasing controls, but I'm • not
sure it makes sense to affect rendering of parts for part list images and • BOMs,
correct?

  This seems easy enough to add.

For this type of LPub run  I am not concerned about image quality at all.  I
just want to make sure that all of the images are generated and LPub doesn't
error out half way (or even worse, one image from the end) the process.  I
want to know that when I kick it off, that it will run to completion because
the rendering process will take several hours (maybe more).

I think this is a great idea, and can provide another recent example of why
this would be wonderful to have.

Using LPub, I recently ran a large model with about 6 submodels. I kicked it
off before I went to bed, and it had completed by mid-day the next day. I
started glancing at the images and found that on only one submodel, the
edges of the model were cut off. (I had set the minimum distance too low) So
my choices were to re-render everything, or simply export and re-render that
one submodel. Either way, if I was able to spit out a contact sheet just to
tell me that a) there were no errors, and b) that everything laid out like I
wanted, that would be terrific, and save a ton of time.

The other advantage of this is that you can "test" the final output to
verify that all buffer exchanges, rotations, etc. are working like you want.

Jake

---
Jake McKee
LEGO Enthusiast