 CAD / Development / 8608
Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 17:31:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jake McKee writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin L. Clague writes:
Hi All,
I've been doing some building lately to recharge my tactile batteries, but
LPub and Lsynth have been starting to stur up back-of-the-brain activity.

I've gotten so many suggestions (especially from Tim Courtney who emails
me almost every day with user problems, bug reports or suggestions), it is
getting hard to keep them in my brain.

I've created a new lugnet page:

http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/~1527/

Looks like a pretty good list!

Here are a few more ideas:

- Basic Pause function (this may be handled just fine by POVRAY, but I'm not
that familiar with it. Reason: When you are working off of one machine that
I share, either I need to quickly check email, or let my wife do the same.
When the computer is tied up with rendering for 2 days... well, it's not
that easy.

Seems simple enough.

- Advanced Pause function: Something that allows in the pre-set options
before rendering begins to pause for x amount of time before going to the
next sub-model. Reason: With large renders, or more specifically models with
many subparts, it would be nice to be able to auto-pause between switches to
new sub models for reasons above

Simple also, as long as it is at *every* sub-model.  Careful what you ask for.

- To expand on this item from your list: "background images for construction
images and PLI"... this should also include background color only for the
sub models... which leads to my next point:

- Ability to modify settings per sub-model: It would be terrific to be able
to change preferences per submodel in a model. Reason: I sometimes need to
have different view angles on certain sub-models and not on others. Or
perhaps I want to change the background color on one submodel to be a
different color than another submodel (for use with assembly submodels). Or
I want to be able to select an option to include a submodel's parts in the
main BOM or not (for times when an instruction has alternative models). Or
if you wanted to have a sub-BOM for a submodel (still calculated in the main
BOM, but broken out by submodel, not by step/submodel)

This is about 8 enhancement requests you know.  Not just preferences per
sub-model, but also global BOM inclusion/exclusion per sub-model, plus
sub-model BOMs.

...and bugs:

- Cancel dialog often stays up, unless the rendering is canceled just right

This is a bug.  It is not the behavior I intended.

- No memory on the "Open..." dialog. Always defaults to LDraw directory > Models

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  In what way is this a *bug*?  It is
exactly what I have designed it to do.  This is an enhancement request :^)

Some of these would have a much higher priority than others. I'm sure some
things get taken care of, or get wrapped into other coding jobs. But for
separate tasks, do you have any interest in putting these things up to a
vote by users?

You are welcome to run a vote.

I tend to prioritize by simplicity, personal desire and my perception of the
value of the enhancement, as well as the scope of the change.

Of course true bugs with the most impact are highest priority.

I'll add to this thread if more ideas come up. And as always Kevin, thanks
for your supreme effort here!

You are welcome.

Jake

Kevin