 CAD / Development / 8602
Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 16:08:26 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jake McKee writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney writes:

I've created a new lugnet page:

http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/~1527/

Oooh, I'd love to see LDLite as a renderer! I was talking to Paul the other
day about adding support for Buffer Exchange and Rotation Steps, etc. Maybe
if LPub supported it, LDLite wouldn't have to make those changes.

This may be a dumb question, but what exactly is the benefit of LDLite? From
what I have seen (and this is probably wrong) LDLite simply allows you to
look at a model in 3D space, much like the 3D view in MLCad.

What am I missing?

The reference to LDLite is really a generic reference to renderers other
than POV-Ray.  I've not done a lot of homework on LDLite, but if it can be
an alternative renderer to POV-Ray it has a few advantages including
rendering speed (as it is *not* ray traced), and black outlined parts
(without the inaccuracies associated with the MEGAPOV solution.

LDView is another alternative, that has the smoothed triange mesh (rounded
smooth surfaces instead of tesselized triangle surfaces), it also has the
speed advantage over POV-Ray I assume.

I could try to write my own renderer that encompasses all these things, but
I'm not sure that would be the best use of my time given the existance of
other quality rendering mechanisms.

Kevin

Jake

---