 CAD / Development / 8611
Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 17:54:32 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jake McKee writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Better rendering control. While I use MLCad for model capture and review, I
use LDLite as a rendering tool for final instruction images, as it is much
more flexible and gives me fine grained control over more things. YMMV.

But is this only comparing MLCad to LDLite? While I would agree that the
batch processing abilities seem cool, the quality just doesn't seem to
compare if you also factor in MegaPOV to the mix.

That being said... am I missing something? There are only a few "File..."
menu items. The quality looks quite similar to MLCad. Maybe I am just
overlooking a key option switch.

Looking into other renderers was just a thought of mine.  Your requests for
pause controls is indicitive of the cost of high quality rendering.

For those who do not want to pay that price they have to lay out BIs by hand.

I don't have a desire to support every renderer that is out there, but an
alternative to POV-Ray may be the right choice for some.  Obviously Larry is
happy with the quality of LDlite.

MegaPOV is a heuristic algorithm that can be used to draw outlines around
parts, but it is by no means perfect.  LDlite is much closer to perfection
on this issue (this is my understanding, I've actually never run the program
myself.)

LDlite support carries its own costs because people will expect LPub to
support LDLite's meta-commands.  LDLite's meta-commands provide powerful
extensions to the concepts presented by type 1 records.  The good news for
me is that you can get LDLite to dump out an LDraw 0.2.7 compatible DAT file.

Kevin

Jake

---
Jake McKee