 CAD / Development / 8588
  LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

Hi All, I've been doing some building lately to recharge my tactile batteries, but LPub and Lsynth have been starting to stur up back-of-the-brain activity. I've gotten so many suggestions (especially from Tim Courtney who emails me almost every day (...) (21 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) :-) (...) day about adding support for Buffer Exchange and Rotation Steps, etc. Maybe if LPub supported it, LDLite wouldn't have to make those changes. -Tim (21 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

I'd like to add one more bug in LSynth. The display message does not work in Win98. Jaco (21 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) Paul, Because L3P doesn't know anything about buffer exchange or rotation steps, LPub creates a DAT for each step and handles all the rotation and stuff. Is there mechanism in LDLite that will let LPub interact with LDLite through interprocess (...) (21 years ago, 29-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) hi kevin, we've already discussed the following in the past via e-mail, but these features are missing in the list ;-) * mask-rendering or support for transparent background. * preview-window to check the camera-settings * color scaling of (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) Hi Willy, (...) Thanks for this one. (...) Please note that LPub is not a renderer. What you are asking for in this one is a renderer, which is no small change. It could take a *long* time for this one to get done (if it does). Might I (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) hi kevin, you probably "missundaztood" me. I was thinking of the following feature: loading a .ldr or .mpd it shows up in a preview-frame in the camera tab, like the hose, spring or minifig in MLCad. rotating the model in the preview-frame (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) Hi Willy, I understood you perfectly. Maybe you didn't understand me. LPub is not a renderer. I know all too well that hard for me means easy for you, but in saying that you are completely ignoring that it is *hard for me* :^( (...) Kevin (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) got it! to me "renderer" means raytracing, radiosity ... progs like povray, 3ds, bryce ... sorry for messing up. bye w. (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) This may be a dumb question, but what exactly is the benefit of LDLite? From what I have seen (and this is probably wrong) LDLite simply allows you to look at a model in 3D space, much like the 3D view in MLCad. What am I missing? Jake --- (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) Is this where LDLite might come into play? Jake --- Jake McKee Webmaster- B.I. Portal (URL) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) Better rendering control. While I use MLCad for model capture and review, I use LDLite as a rendering tool for final instruction images, as it is much more flexible and gives me fine grained control over more things. YMMV. (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) The reference to LDLite is really a generic reference to renderers other than POV-Ray. I've not done a lot of homework on LDLite, but if it can be an alternative renderer to POV-Ray it has a few advantages including rendering speed (as it is (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) If we could figure out a *fast* interface for getting images between a renderer and LPub (fast enough to be interactive like I know Willy wants) then yes. The ideal solution would to be to have one of these renderers as a DLL library that I (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) Oh, I should also note that it's embeddable in batch files, since it has a command line interface. When you have hundreds or thousands of images to render across 30-40 submodels, that's very very important. (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) Here are a few more ideas: - Basic Pause function (this may be handled just fine by POVRAY, but I'm not that familiar with it. Reason: When you are working off of one machine that I share, either I need to quickly check email, or let my wife (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) But is this only comparing MLCad to LDLite? While I would agree that the batch processing abilities seem cool, the quality just doesn't seem to compare if you also factor in MegaPOV to the mix. That being said... am I missing something? There (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) Seems simple enough. (...) Simple also, as long as it is at *every* sub-model. Careful what you ask for. (...) This is about 8 enhancement requests you know. Not just preferences per sub-model, but also global BOM inclusion/exclusion per (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) It's good enough for what I use it for, and it doesn't require POV, and it's way way way way faster. I'd never tie up my PC for two days rendering, that's just unacceptable. (...) Maybe. Read the help on the command line options to se what (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) Maybe the simple way covers all the needs. (...) Yeah, I just started typing... :) (...) Perhaps I should give a bit more detail. What I mean is even when operations are canceled, or you actually click the "Cancel" button in this dialog, the (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) Looking into other renderers was just a thought of mine. Your requests for pause controls is indicitive of the cost of high quality rendering. For those who do not want to pay that price they have to lay out BIs by hand. I don't have a desire (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

<snip> (...) I understood. It is a bug. (...) Yes, well there are numerous windows apps that can render LDraw files quickly on the screen, but just because LPub doesn't support it doesn't mean LPub has a bug. ;-) (...) Running a vote would be cool, (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) I missed this bit before. I thought Jake was asking about why I didn't use MLCad for rendering. (...) I agree with this approach, I don't think you should write your own renderer, we don't need YARenderer at this point. Just link them in as (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) Orion Pobursky uses LDGLite as a renderer to generate previews in his Bezier Curve Generator plugin for LDDesignPad. -Tim (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) Gyug has said that LDLite and LDGLite are trying to share code, FWIW... (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) All of LDView's rendering code is actually already encapsulated into a static library. It's not a DLL because I decided that having the DLL complicated the LDView distrubution overly much (especially for screen saver support). It wouldn't be (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) If you want an example of the quality you can get with this technique, take a peek at the Family Car instructions on this page. (URL) almost positive it was done with the edge thickening and scaling method described by Larry. Don (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) Used to, not any more. I built in my own "renderer" -Orion (21 years ago, 31-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) I was rethinking this one and thought I might just add support for LDraw's PAUSE meta-command. You can place it wherever you want. (...) For performance reasons, LPub caches the part images once they are rendered, so we would have to break (...) (21 years ago, 1-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) have already been fixed, and features I'm adding, for those who want to know what I'm up to. Kevin (21 years ago, 1-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) Hi Jaco, Can you give me specifics of where LPub is installed? Thanks, Kevin (21 years ago, 1-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

At home I installed it in C:\LDRAW\PROGRAMS\LPUB on a Win98-SE PC. But I do not see what that has to do with anything for it does work on my W2K PC at work, where I installed it in D:\MJ\LDRAW\PROGRAM\LPUB. Jaco "Kevin L. Clague" (...) (21 years ago, 2-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) My mistake. I meant Lsynth. It is probably a win98 bug on my part as I develop on win2K, but sometimes the path thing messes me up. Kevin (...) (21 years ago, 2-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

"Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:HCKpqw.1x7x@lugnet.com... [ ... snipped ... ] (...) for (...) hand. (...) [ ... snipped ... ] I am chasing an issue that failed halfway through a render right now. Fortunately I am (...) (21 years ago, 2-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) Hi Mike, I've added it to the list. Minimally I could see it affecting construction image size, and possibly some quality and anti-aliasing controls, but I'm not sure it makes sense to affect rendering of parts for part list images and BOMs, (...) (21 years ago, 2-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) Mine too. Anyway, replace LPUB by LSYNTH and you'll have my install paths. (...) the (...) Right. Can you fix it? Jaco (21 years ago, 2-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

"Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:HCqIBJ.12tn@lugnet.com... (...) [ ... snipped ... ] (...) current (...) build (...) construction (...) not (...) BOMs, (...) For this type of LPub run I am not concerned about image (...) (21 years ago, 2-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) First I have to recreate it on Windows98, which means I have to set up a win98 box. I'm sure I can fix it if I can recreate it. Can you try running lsynthcp directly? It is in the Lsynth/bin directory. Its usage is: lsynthcp <inputfile> (...) (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) Jake, I came up with an even simpler solution. I added a Pause/Resume button to the "cancel" dialog. Click the Pause button, and after POV-Ray finishes the image it is rendering, the process pauses until you click resume. Kevin (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

"Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:HCrpGz.Irp@lugnet.com... (...) I'm not (...) that (...) same. (...) not (...) resume. (...) This is great news - this is a feature I expect I will use extensively. What is the ETA of (...) (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) I figured someone would ask this soon :^) Probably early next week. You can see the bugs I've fixed and the new features I've added on (URL) think I've gotten the killer bugs out of the way, and implemented many of the "simple to add" (...) (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) Sounds terrific! Thanks! Jake --- Jake McKee LEGO Enthusiast Webmaster - B.I. Portal (URL) (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) I think this is a great idea, and can provide another recent example of why this would be wonderful to have. Using LPub, I recently ran a large model with about 6 submodels. I kicked it off before I went to bed, and it had completed by mid-day (...) (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) A couple more minor requests: - Would be great if the textual status window at the top of the LPub app had scrollbars in order to page back through previous textual info - Would be great to be able to queue up multiple files to be rendered (...) (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) Hard to keep up with new requests at this rate :^) Besides, I get to decide if it is major or minor...... (...) I put this in the minor part of the list. (...) I put this in the major part of the list. (...) Kevin (...) (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

[ ... snipped ... ] (...) (along (...) all (...) sleep?) (...) [ ... snipped ... ] This request is in the same veign as the request I made to have LPub support some level of scripting. (URL) a scripting interface, you could batch up a whole series (...) (21 years ago, 4-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) My solution to the above is to give you explicit control over construction image render window size and PLI render window size. You can set these sizes small for test runs. Is this acceptable? It will be available in the next LPub release. (...) (20 years ago, 4-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub and Lsynth page for tracking enhancement requests and bug fixes

(...) Looking at the above list seriously..... You list a number of sub-model specific desires including: 1. view angle on a sub-model basis. You already have this using MLCad's ROTSTEP meta-command. ROTSTEP only applies to the file that contains (...) (20 years ago, 4-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

"Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:I52p4z.1xwI@lugnet.com... [ ... snipped ... ] (...) construction (...) sizes (...) LPub (...) I believe that will do. Thanks, Mike (20 years ago, 7-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)