 CAD / Development / 5032
Re: Voting Open for LCAD Parts Update 2000-02
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 20:01:25 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Sproaticus wrote:

Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Sproaticus wrote:
3067p01.dat - Brick 1 x 6 without Centre Studs with 'Hotel' Pattern
Changing the color on this part alters the text color, not the brick color.
Yep.

This is by design then?

Right.  As I understand, this brick appeared with several different colors
of printing, but always on the same color brick.

This approach (hard-coding the brick color, but allowing the pattern color
to 'float') has been done in a few other instances, in similar cases.  The
minifig torso with dungarees is one example of this, I believe.

30149.dat - Car Base 4 x 5 with 2 Seats
Let's center this piece between some "top-level" studs, perhaps amongst the
front set.  Otherwise fine.
So you want to lower the piece, to place either the front panel or the back
panel at Y=0?

No preference here; I just think that (for consistency) the origin should be
between two studs (if possible), and visible when the model is viewed from
the front or back or the sides (if possible).  This one is really no biggie,
though.

I think I understand what you're saying, but I'm not saying I agree
completely.  Right now, the origin *is* between two studs, but you *can't*
see it, because it's buried inside the ornamentation.

30361.dat - Cylinder 2 x 2 x 2 Robot Body
Ditto.  This one seems to be centered on the technic pin-holes, not very
useful for what is really a brick piece.
[...]
Should it also be rotated 90-degrees around Y?  Although it is more
standard (comparing to Technic Bricks) to have the pin-holes face the
front, this piece is still R2D2's body.

Hmmm.  I'd say that, since it is R2D2's body (though other applications will
undoubtably arise), and will probably get R2D2's pattern soonish, let's keep
the technic pin holes to the sides.  A precedence for this is the plate 2x2
with holes (2817), and I think it fits well; the primary use of the part
calls for the holes' axes to be parallel to the x-axis.

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Going on a bit, should the R2D2 leg also be positioned so the top is at
Y=0, or should it be set to aid in rotations?

Good question.  [giving opinion after re-checking distance to bottom of
feet]  [shoot, ldraw.org isn't answering the phone right now; I'll haveta
address this one later]

When the leg is attached to the body, the top surfaces are even.  So
positioning the leg-part so the top is at Y=0 would work with your
suggestion.  Besides, it's the body that has to rotate, not the legs.

x742.dat - Technic Gear 21 Tooth
Why is this rotated 90 degrees away from the other gears?  Isn't the Z axis
typically used anymore as the default rotation axis of Technic gears?
There are conflicting precedents on these.  The one existing part-file for
Samsonite-era gears (741.dat) is oriented on X, like x742 and x743.  But
the standard for true Technic gears is the Z-axis.

Oh, okay.  I withdraw my objections on these.  :-,

How many other Samsonite-era gears are there?  How similar to DACTA gears
are they?  If there are bunch more parts to be released, we should get our
precedents straight.  I'm more inclined to go with a Z-axis orientation,
because that's what everything else (gears, wheels, etc) is supposed to
use.

Steve