 CAD / Development / 5029
Re: Voting Open for LCAD Parts Update 2000-02
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 16:08:03 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing wrote:

Well, I did - or rather L3P went nuts spitting out 1500+ lines!

I considered posting the L3P -check output as a link on the voting page.

It seems that 63 files slipped through the Quality Control:
980 bow-ties ("Bad vertex sequence")
487 duplicate lines ("Line 146: Identical to line 130")
74 line type 2 using color 16 (http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=4256)
8 lines with collinear vertices ("Collinear vertices (0)")
4 lines with identical vertices

I think the files should be cleaned up now before releasing them.
It's more toublesome later.
The FAQ mentions "l3p -check" (http://www.ldraw.org/faq/#question-24)
(but several links and mail addresses need updating)

If you do not have L3Lab, and are running Windows, I highly recommend this
piece of software for reviewing parts.  The combination of high-speed
rendering and mouse-able rotating are truly wonderful.

Thanks, you make my heart soar like a hawk :-)

How about a parrot w/o decorative printing? ;)

Maybe I should point out that L3Lab only does a check with
warning level zero, i.e. critical errors, corresponding to
"l3p -check -w0".
The warnings listed above ("l3p -check" (warning level 1)) are not
critical for a DAT file to work correctly, but may slow down
rendering (e.g. duplicate lines, collinear/identical vertices).

I have been thinking of making a check-mode in L3Lab,
capable of showing/highlighting problems.
-or at least the possibility of increasing the warninglevel.

It would be very nice if L3Lab had a menu command for L3P-check'ing the
current file.  A little dialog to set the warning-level and coplanarity
determinate parameters, and you'd be set.

BTW, I'd also push the color warnings (unknown color, cannot handle color
24, line type 2 using color 16) down to a lower warning-level.  There are
legitimate reasons why these situations occur, although they are useful
checks in *most* cases.

Steve