 CAD / Development / 5024
Re: Voting Open for LCAD Parts Update 2000-02
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 08:34:30 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote...
There are some 145 new parts in the update.  Wow!  This is a big one.

Yes, 226 files! Thank you for your effort.

Look at the parts, [snip] examine the files, [snip] look for flaws. [snip] Go nuts. :)

Well, I did - or rather L3P went nuts spitting out 1500+ lines!
It seems that 63 files slipped through the Quality Control:
980 bow-ties ("Bad vertex sequence")
487 duplicate lines ("Line 146: Identical to line 130")
74 line type 2 using color 16 (http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=4256)
8 lines with collinear vertices ("Collinear vertices (0)")
4 lines with identical vertices

I think the files should be cleaned up now before releasing them.
It's more toublesome later.
The FAQ mentions "l3p -check" (http://www.ldraw.org/faq/#question-24)
(but several links and mail addresses need updating)

If you do not have L3Lab, and are running Windows, I highly recommend this
piece of software for reviewing parts.  The combination of high-speed
rendering and mouse-able rotating are truly wonderful.

Thanks, you make my heart soar like a hawk :-)

Maybe I should point out that L3Lab only does a check with
warning level zero, i.e. critical errors, corresponding to
"l3p -check -w0".
The warnings listed above ("l3p -check" (warning level 1)) are not
critical for a DAT file to work correctly, but may slow down
rendering (e.g. duplicate lines, collinear/identical vertices).

I have been thinking of making a check-mode in L3Lab,
capable of showing/highlighting problems.
-or at least the possibility of increasing the warninglevel.

A full list of possible warnings and errors and their levels
can be found in l3p.txt (comes with l3p.exe)
/Lars