 CAD / Development / 1143
Re: fixed part: JW's parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 06:41:20 GMT

At 10:08 PM 4/10/99 +0000, Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, wilsonj@xoommail.com (jonathan wilson) writes:
[...]
if i cant make ldraw parts without real lego then i will seriously
consider giving up on ldraw [...]

Jonathan,

Please try not to take this personally -- and realize that this is only
one opinion -- but if you are unable to get parts right even *with* real
LEGO elements in hand, then IMHO you really should consider giving up on
LDraw, or at least taking a break for a few weeks and practicing up on
coordinate geometry.

Yes, I also agree here.  But do try with Lego in hand!  Just don't push it
on the group if it doesn't pan out for you.

A thorough and wizardly mastery of 3D coordinate geometry is not necessary
to create quality LDraw parts, but if you are, as you say, truly "lousy at
coordinate geometry," then you're probably not cut out for it.  Practicing
3D coordinate geometry privately is probably a good thing, but practicing
it publicly probably isn't.

Yes, truthfully, your public math class isn't gaining you many friends here.

and switch back to red alert editing, where my efforts are appreciated.

I think your *effort* is appreciated here -- certainly you have shown great
enthusiasm and tireless devotion to the craft -- but it is your unique
methods and attitudes which leave things to be desired.

Correct....

Perhaps if you did
take a break and return to editing Red Alert universes, it would be the
perfect place to work on your 3D coordinate geometry skills.  Since your
efforts and skills are appreciated there, it's probably going to be a lot
more rewarding for you.

Sounds like a good avenue to me.

At some point you may feel that you are ready to
move up to creating LDraw parts.  Right now, though, I'd say your creating
LDraw parts is not a good skills fit.  I'm sure with practice you could be
very good and well respected by your peers.  The right place to practice
your skills, however, probably lies elsewhere.

Todd, you have rephrased what a few of us have said in flames into calm
phrases that make a lot of sense - and are probably taken more seroiusly
than the flames because of your tone.

Jonathan, I agree with Todd here.  I would love to see quality parts by you
but now is apparently not the time for that.  Practice the skills you need,
purchase or borrow some Lego, and work over email with one or two other
parts creators to masker the skills.  Once you have an absolutely perfect
part to display, please, by all means post it.  It will earn you much
respect here.  But *please* don't practice openly and publicly on
lugnet.cad or lugnet.cad.dev

Keep Building!!

-Tim <><

http://www.zacktron.com

AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114

You've seen their sites and read their posts, now see their faces:
RTL/LUGNET Legofest 1999: http://www.zacktron.com/legofest/

LEGO: SP++++c(6973)[ip++++ bt2++++ ex+++ ft+++ sp+++ ut++]
AQ+++(6175)[an+++ as++ hn-- sr--] TO++[ob+ dv+ tc-- tt-- tjr.---] TC++ CA+
PI+ BV--- DU--- HM--- S+ LS>+++  #++++  Hal M+ A+ YB82m