 CAD / Development / 1114
Re: fixed part: JW's parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 22:08:55 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, wilsonj@xoommail.com (jonathan wilson) writes:
[...]
if i cant make ldraw parts without real lego then i will seriously
consider giving up on ldraw [...]

Jonathan,

Please try not to take this personally -- and realize that this is only
one opinion -- but if you are unable to get parts right even *with* real
LEGO elements in hand, then IMHO you really should consider giving up on
LDraw, or at least taking a break for a few weeks and practicing up on
coordinate geometry.

A thorough and wizardly mastery of 3D coordinate geometry is not necessary
to create quality LDraw parts, but if you are, as you say, truly "lousy at
coordinate geometry," then you're probably not cut out for it.  Practicing
3D coordinate geometry privately is probably a good thing, but practicing
it publicly probably isn't.

and switch back to red alert editing, where my efforts are appreciated.

I think your *effort* is appreciated here -- certainly you have shown great
enthusiasm and tireless devotion to the craft -- but it is your unique
methods and attitudes which leave things to be desired.  Perhaps if you did
take a break and return to editing Red Alert universes, it would be the
perfect place to work on your 3D coordinate geometry skills.  Since your
efforts and skills are appreciated there, it's probably going to be a lot
more rewarding for you.  At some point you may feel that you are ready to
move up to creating LDraw parts.  Right now, though, I'd say your creating
LDraw parts is not a good skills fit.  I'm sure with practice you could be
very good and well respected by your peers.  The right place to practice
your skills, however, probably lies elsewhere.

--Todd