 CAD / Development / 1153
Re: fixed part: JW's parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 05:03:15 GMT

Oh, GIVE me a break.  "Absolutely PERFECT".  Ya gotta be kiddin'!  No one,
NO PART, is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!  Sheezz........

sorry roy, but i have to disagree with you here... take a look at the 1x2 tile
(3068)... simple, elegant, and as far as i'm concerned (especially after i went
back and personally put in the bottom groove) it is *perfect*..
true, there isn't much to it... and it doesn't have every detail that the RL
version does... but it *does* have every detail that is expected in an LDraw
element... now i know that there aren't many parts this simple still left to be
created, which means that parts being modeled now (including *all* of my own)
are not "perfect"... but you can tell when someone has taken the time to
attempt to achieve perfection.. and one of the best ways to know that is for
the *author* to be able to tell you what is wrong with the part... "a type 2
line missing here or there".. "a curve that still needs type 5 lines added..."
and for that author to give satisfactory reason for why those details were
omited... the really intricate parts are all about striving to get everything
perfect, and knowing inherently how much needs to be "just right" before the
part is ready for the world... i'm sorry, but it's easy to tell when someone
has put the time in reaching for that level of quality...

perhaps jonathan's expertise is only up to par on "simpler" elements such as
these, and perhaps there aren't any parts this simple left to be created...
that isn't my problem... my problem is whether or not he would be able to get
an element as simple as #3068 as "perfect" as it is now... because that *is*
possible.. and if he can't at least *strive* to match that level of quality
then he has *no business* attempting parts with much more intricacy