 CAD / 8672
Re: dragNdrop (Was: Ldglite must be faster)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 16:58:51 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Anders Isaksson writes:

Anyhow, I was wondering what's in those two WM_COPYDATA messages
from LDList.

If you read Pascal, take a look at the LDList source, it is both source and
sink for the D&D of LDRAW parts that I (and Steve) defined. Otherwise I have
to dig out the old mails exchanged between me and Steve - there's never been
a complete writeup of the 'protocol', it just evolved...

I examined the source (aren't you glad you posted it) and now I can
drag in a part from LDList (cool!), but I'm still not sure about the
rest of the 'protocol'.  What's the point of the X and Y coordinates?
And is it the empty message that crashes explorer when you accidently
drop the part on the taskbar.  I managed to do that to myself twice
and it really sucks!  Could the protocol possibly evolve a bit more
to prevent that?

Now that I'm on the Drag and Drop / Cut and Paste bandwagon, does
anyone remember discussing this a long time ago?  I'm thinking about
adding multiline Drop/Paste capabilities.  I figure if the line
comes with all the fixins of a normal type 1 line I should go with
that info.  But what about a big unplaced list of parts.  Did someone
(maybe Erik) come up with an algorithm for spreading them around
a bit, rather than dumping them all in the same location?  Do we have
a standardized format for part lists?  Maybe with a count per part?

Don