 CAD / 8654
Re: Ldglite must be faster
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 21:25:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Anders Isaksson writes:
No, I meant: Just another program which gets commands through Windows
messages, pipes, shared memory, files on disk, or any other of all the
possible methods.

Not a DLL, not an ActiveX, not a COM-object, but a plain Application.

Ah.  We've got that already - ldglite in offscreen mode.

It would probably have to render to a tempfile, though...

That's the downside.

call to a DLL would be to render some LDraw code.  Something like:
   RenderLDraw(hDC, sLDrawCode, sWorkDir)

It would probably be better to 'render' to an in-memory buffer (windows
bitmap?), supplied by the main application, and let the main application
handle the real painting.

Right.  That's what I thought device contexts basically were.  Maybe I'm
misremembering; sorry.

My final thought is that it would be good if the DLL could produce one
or more structures populated with the heightmap and/or the ... ummm ...
part-map(?).

What info should be in the height map?

The final Z values of each pixel.  I'm not sure how useful that data would be...

A 'part-map' would be a record of which part (actually, source line from
the sLDrawCode parameter) is rendered at each pixel.  This could be used
for hit-testing, to allow the client program to support (some) mouse
interaction.

Interesting. Just doubles the memory consumption...

True.  Having a HitTest() function would be good. :)  But that would require
the DLL to keep state information, or it would have to reprocess the file
with each call to HitTest.

Considering the problem from the angle of "what functions would be
desireable to support a fully interactive LDraw editor?" might be fruitful.
I've got to go now, I'll think about this some more.

Steve