 CAD / 8616
Re: Ldglite must be faster
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 00:36:15 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Anders Isaksson writes:
  http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/ldlist.htm

Hey, is anyone _using_ ldlist? I don't even get questions asking why it
doesn't work...

I'd say it looks like people are indeed using it.  Apparently it works
well enough that they haven't found the need to ask questions.

Does anyone know you can press CTRL-C in ldlist and paste the part number in
any other (text) editing program?

It also implements a drag-and-drop interface for anyone interested - you can
drag a part from ldlist and drop on ... - oh well, nobody wanted to
implement the receiving code in their editors, but it's there.

Looks like Steve knew about the drag n drop peatures.  What's involved
in implementing the receiving code.  I'm not sure I could coax the
correct Windows events out of the Glut library, but you never know.

so parts of it might be portable.  It might even be possible to
backport some of it to C and plug it into ldglite since both programs
are at least partly based on LDLite.

There's not much to backport, most of the code is the (buggy Q&D) Pascal
port of a very early ldlite, the rest are a couple of lines of UI (User
Interface) code, the incremental selection of the part list being the main
part.

I can't remember if the source to LDList is available though.

Not for the moment, but I could put it on the Web Site if there's any (real)
interest.

I would definately look at it and probably borrow some ideas, if not
actual code.  How much interest are you looking for?  If you've been
watching the lugnet.cad groups lately you must've seen all the
cross pollination of source code between the various projects.  If
you put the code out there, the odds are pretty good someone will
find a use for it.

Another (Windows) wish: I would very much like to see a .dll (with some
standardized interface) implementing LDRAW rendering on a supplied dc - then
it would be sooo easy to build all those little helper programs, adding
functionality around the basic rendering engine.

That sounds a little too Windows specific for me to tackle, but maybe
if you proposed such an interface (with all the details) something
might eventually come out of it.

Don