 CAD / 8673
Re: dragNdrop (Was: Ldglite must be faster)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 18:45:05 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
Don Heyse wrote:

This gets me thinking, I wonder what they're using for dragNdrop
on linux these days,

It appears to be a mess of desktop system specific protocols
(KDE and Gnome) in addition to the standard X11 "clip board"
(see section L.2, "Peer-to-Peer Communications via
Selections", pp. 370 in "X Protocol Reference Manual") which
is The Right Way(tm) to do it.

I guess I'll have to do some tests in KDE and GNOME to see it the
X selection buffer still works.  It'd be nice to be able to drag
in an inventory of parts from emacs (or blech! vi) and then place
them.  Almost like dumping a baggie of the real thing and then
building.  And hey, maybe someone could attempt a kylix build
of LDList so you could see the parts you're dragging in.  A nice
addition to the LDList drag protocol would be to allow multiple
lines to be selected, or allow dragging the picture.  That'd be
too cool!

Meanwhile I put a new beta of the windows version in the usual place.

  http://ldglite.sourceforge.net/ldgliteexe_test.zip

It supports drag N drop from LDList and Windows Explorer, and cut
N paste from any text source, including LDList.  It only uses the
first part for now, and ignores everything but the file name, but
it seems pretty nifty to me.  Give it a try and get me some feedback.

Don