 CAD / 8662
Re: Ldglite must be faster
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 17:53:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Anders Isaksson writes:
"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam.go.away.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:H1z7p3.8G7@lugnet.com...

Hmmm, an LDRAW Graphics Server, that could be nifty.  But how about using
XML-RPC to talk to it instead of WM_COPYDATA?  Then you could control it
from any platform, or a browser, or even a telnet session if you like
typing raw XML.

Nah, the WM_COPYDATA was just a joke :-) I know that's not platform
independent.

Actually, while it doesn't support WM_COPYDATA, I did just add a
function to ldglite (for Windows) to paste text from the clipboard
into the LEDIT emulation mode on a CTRL-V.  So now it can get
part names indirectly from LDList via the clipboard.  Pretty neat!
The really nice part for me is you can do everything without touching
the mouse by using ALT-TAB to switch between the two windows.

Next I'll have to see what GLUT does with the X selection buffer.
Also, what's involved in Windows Drag N Drop?

What's XML-RPC?

It's a simple distributed computing protocol based on XML and HTTP.

What's wrong with ordinary sockets?

Nothing.  I just thought I could use an excuse for more practice with
XML.

Or were you thinking 'running the server >over internet'?

Sure, why not?  What if say the server is capable of rendering
offscreen and then returning a PNG image?  There might be a
use for that sort of thing.

Don