 CAD / 8614
Re: Ldglite must be faster
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 22:30:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Anders Isaksson writes:
Another (Windows) wish: I would very much like to see a .dll (with some
standardized interface) implementing LDRAW rendering on a supplied dc - then
it would be sooo easy to build all those little helper programs, adding
functionality around the basic rendering engine.

Well, all the rendering functionality of LDView is in its own library, but I
made it a static library when I added my experimental screensaver support in
order to get rid of the requirement of multiple files in the Windows system
directory (there would be 3 separate DLLs in addition to the main executable
if I were using DLLs instead of static libraries).

It would be easy enough to create a DLL, but the LDView renderer is
definitely designed primarily with real-time rendering performance as the
primary goal, and not for displaying lots of different files.  Consequently,
it is fairly slow at loading files (and incidentally uses a relatively large
amount of memory in the process).  The current design may have problems
displaying in multiple windows, though, due to the fact that it has a global
shared parts cache that gets cleared each time a model is loaded.  This
actually may not be a problem, since I don't think the part cache is
referenced after the model is loaded, but I haven't tried it.

Having the rendering separated from the UI does have one main advantage,
though.  I'm almost done with a Linux version of LDView, and there is a Mac
OS X version in the works by someone else.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)