 CAD / 8653
Re: Ldglite must be faster
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 20:51:00 GMT

"Steve Bliss" <partsref@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:utvenuov1aga5rp4k9e0uftgqk4cbpertd@4ax.com...

Or, for that matter, it could be a separate process (LDRAW Graphics • Server),
which might be easier to port to other systems. Then I can send • WM_COPYDATA
messages to it :-))

Hmm, I think you just exceeded my knowledge level.  How would that work?
That is, how would having a separate process empower handling
WM_COPYDATA messages?  By "separate process", do you mean making a COM
object?  For VB use, that would nearly be as good as an ActiveX control.

It shouldn't use WM_COPYDATA, that was just a joke.

No, I meant: Just another program which gets commands through Windows
messages, pipes, shared memory, files on disk, or any other of all the
possible methods.

Not a DLL, not an ActiveX, not a COM-object, but a plain Application.

It would probably have to render to a tempfile, though...

call to a DLL would be to render some LDraw code.  Something like:
   RenderLDraw(hDC, sLDrawCode, sWorkDir)

It would probably be better to 'render' to an in-memory buffer (windows
bitmap?), supplied by the main application, and let the main application
handle the real painting.

My final thought is that it would be good if the DLL could produce one
or more structures populated with the heightmap and/or the ... ummm ...
part-map(?).

What info should be in the height map?

A 'part-map' would be a record of which part (actually, source line from
the sLDrawCode parameter) is rendered at each pixel.  This could be used
for hit-testing, to allow the client program to support (some) mouse
interaction.

Interesting. Just doubles the memory consumption...

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery/index.htm