 Administrative / General / 718
Re: Proper place to post US S@H Phone Specials
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 00:23:16 GMT

Todd Lehman writes:

But -- the disadvantage I see there is that it doesn't allow for much long-
term expansion, because the name is getting so long already.  If "shopping"
were abbreviated to "shop," it might help some, but then lugnet.market.shop
sounds like quite a different newsgroup from lugnet.market.shopping; with
.shop, we'd need the subgroups there from the get-go in order to make it
clear (from the very names in place) that it's not a place to shop but a
place to talk about shopping.

Are names like

  lugnet.market.shop.caldor           lugnet.market.shopping.caldor
  lugnet.market.shop.etoys            lugnet.market.shopping.etoys
  lugnet.market.shop.k-mart           lugnet.market.shopping.k-mart
  lugnet.market.shop.lsahs            lugnet.market.shopping.lsahs
  lugnet.market.shop.target           lugnet.market.shopping.target
  lugnet.market.shop.toys-r-us        lugnet.market.shopping.toys-r-us
  lugnet.market.shop.fao-schwartz     lugnet.market.shopping.fao-schwartz

getting too long?  Hrmm, they still sound to me like a place to shop, rather
than a place to talk about shopping.  Maybe it's the presence of .market
there that's throwing me.  Compare:

  lugnet.shop.caldor                  lugnet.shopping.caldor
  lugnet.shop.etoys                   lugnet.shopping.etoys
  lugnet.shop.k-mart                  lugnet.shopping.k-mart
  lugnet.shop.lsahs                   lugnet.shopping.lsahs
  lugnet.shop.target                  lugnet.shopping.target
  lugnet.shop.toys-r-us               lugnet.shopping.toys-r-us
  lugnet.shop.fao-schwartz            lugnet.shopping.fao-schwartz

I think the whole .shopping thing has more potential to explode into more
subgroups over time than the .market thing -- and although they're similar
in terms of people buying things and posting lots of short-term data,
shopping threads about sales and promotions tend to generate a lot more
group discussion, whereas WTB's and WTT's tend to generate more offline
private e-mail discussion.

What are the arguments again -for- having shopping stuff inside the .market
hierarchy?

  1.  Closer together in the alphabetical newsgroup listing
  2.  Easier to move follow-up threads from shopping group into the
      .market.buy-sell-trade group
  3.  (other?)

I think the set of all people who shop for bargains and buy things at retail
chains in general is 5-10 times larger than the set of all people who buy
and sell things online from other people within the online LEGO community.
That's another reason I see .shopping as a totally separate entity -- both
in terms of FAQ's and ng subscriptions -- keeping in mind of course that
discussions migrate to .market.buy-sell-trade as appropriate, just as they
do from .trains or .build or wherever.

Todd, an idea...

IMO, the word "market" says that it's stuff we're selling online, not official
retailers, which I'm assuming don't sell here. Even if they did, they could
still use market.buy-sell-trade. I guess we're concerned about passing info
about retailers, their sales, their available sets, their service, etc. around
to everybody.

How about a lugnet.retailers group? If you wanted to get specific, you could
change it into a hierarchy and add .lsahs, .coupons, .discounts or whatever.
To me, the word "retailers" denotes the difference in vendors, to include s&h
itself, and is more clear to me than "shop" or "shopping".

An FOTW/FOTY purchased from a retailer could still be posted to .retailers
(possibly in group lugnet.retailers.finds) so someone could take possible
advantage of purchasing a set at KMart, whereas an FOTY at a garage sale is
not information anyone can really use so it goes to lugnet.general.

The lugnet.retailers group / hierarchy probably should be an announce-only
forum type.

-Tom McD.