 Administrative / General / 699
Re: Proper place to post US S@H Phone Specials
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 09:31:23 GMT

lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote:

If the intent is simply
to let Mike (and only Mike) post to the group ...

Yes, this was my intent.  I was not suggesting a moderated news group.
A moderated news group sounds like it is too much work.

... then there's something
simple
that I can add at the server end of things which doesn't make extra work
for
Mike.  It could simply reject any messages not coming from Mike (using the
'From:' line rather than the 'Approved:' line).  In practice, there
probably
wouldn't be too many rejected messages if Mike always sets the
'Followup-To:' header to another group -- only people trying to start new
threads would get an error message.

Yes, I think it should work this way.  Except, I suppose the original
message would need to be posted to the new moderated news group, and
another copy to the follow-up news group.

Larger question:  Is there a class of announcements of sales/specials that
needs an area within the .market newsgroup tree?  What is the jist of
what's
being announced to people?

I also think yet another news group might be needed.  This one would
post the "Special Sale found at K-Mart" messages, but not the FOTW
postings.  I'm of mixed feelings about this one.  It would be great to
have all the national sales notices in an easily accessible place, but
on the other hand, we have so many regional stores that this might be
useless to many people.  For instance, I don't have access to Service
Merchandise and Caldor, but I know that other people would need to see
these messages.

Gary
GaryLouie@EarthLink.NetX-Mozilla-Status: 000901:38:19 1999