 Administrative / General / 720
Re: Proper place to post US S@H Phone Specials
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 02:29:42 GMT

"Tom McDonald" <radiotitan@yaspamhoo.com> writes:

IMO, the word "market" says that it's stuff we're selling online, not official
retailers, which I'm assuming don't sell here.

Yup -- great! -- that's exactly what it was intended as.

Even if they did, they could still use market.buy-sell-trade.

Yup -- I agree, that would make a lot of sense (assuming it was done in a
friendly and non-spamful way :).

I guess we're concerned about passing info
about retailers, their sales, their available sets, their service, etc. around
to everybody.

How about a lugnet.retailers group? If you wanted to get specific, you could
change it into a hierarchy and add .lsahs, .coupons, .discounts or whatever.
To me, the word "retailers" denotes the difference in vendors, to include s&h
itself, and is more clear to me than "shop" or "shopping".

Wow, I just looked up "retail" in online Webster's -- it says that retail
means (among other things) to sell directly to the consumer (i.e., as
opposed to wholesale).  I guess I never really understood what it meant; I
always thought of TRU, Target, etc. as retail, but S@H and eToys as
non-retail.  Then again, Sam's and CostCo sell directly to the consumer and
they position themselves as wholesale clubs rather than retail outlets.  Is
mail-order (eToys, etc.) retail because the consumer buys it directly?  Or
is it non-retail because the consumer isn't there to buy it directly in
person?

Alternatively, doesn't the word "shopping" have quite a diverse set of
spin-off/derivative buzzwords these days? -- "online shopping", "cable
shopping", "home shopping", "phone shopping," "catalog shopping," etc.
In other words, doesn't "shopping" have a very wide range of
interpretations?  I think we want a word that does have a very wide range --
one which leaves ample room for later expansion into subgroups under the
general premise of "buying and shopping for primarily-brand-new LEGO sets"
(garage sales and second-hand shops being the exceptions).  I just worry
that the words "retail" or "retailer" or "retailers" don't have any
clear-cut boundaries, whereas "shopping" is so wide that it doesn't need a
boundary.

An FOTW/FOTY purchased from a retailer could still be posted to .retailers
(possibly in group lugnet.retailers.finds) so someone could take possible
advantage of purchasing a set at KMart, whereas an FOTY at a garage sale is
not information anyone can really use so it goes to lugnet.general.

The lugnet.retailers group / hierarchy probably should be an announce-only
forum type.

Do the advantages of an announce-only focus outweigh the advantages of an
announce+discussion focus?  (Playing devil's advocate.)

--Todd