 Administrative / General / 723
Re: Proper place to post US S@H Phone Specials
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 12:41:51 GMT

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999 22:11:32 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote:

blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:

Advantages of a .lsahs group:  (1) covers all of LSAHS -- not just phone
specials; (2) good in terms of FAQ.

Minor point: you're thinking of a .lsah group, not .lsahs.  .lsah would
cover all of S@H, .lsahs would be just the specials.

I've always equated

  LSAHS  =  LEGO Shop At Home Service

because of the official name being "Shop At Home Service" as shown on the
catalogs that come in themail.

Oops, sorry.  My misunderstanding.

How about .lsah.specials?  Then at some time a 'real' .lsah group could
be created, if there was sufficient need.

Mmm, interesting.  What goes in front of .lsah.specials?

Well, that is open to discussion.  I don't have a strong opinion on
lugnet.market.lsahs.specials or lugnet.shopping.lsahs.specials.

A lugnet.<something>.lsahs.specials newsgroup ought to naturally cover...

  (a) phone specials,
  (b) flyer specials -- such as the current barely-advertised Nebula
      Outpost special, and maybe also
  (c) the special discounts in the middle of the book -- like Launch
      Command accessories for $1.50 and the buy 10-get-one-free thing.

...because not everyone gets every S@H catalog.

Good point.

Well, with the current definition of .market (intra-community virtual
marketplace), shopping stuff really belongs elsewhere, doesn't it?  However,
the definition of .market could be changed to encompass more things than
inter-personal market stuff -- i.e., shopping and all that -- if necessary.

I guess that's what I was suggesting as a possibility.  Reduce, reuse,
recycle.

What do you think about lugnet.market.shopping?  That works for me just
about as well as a plain-old lugnet.shopping.

Like you said, it starts to get long, if the number of sub-groups grows.

I think the whole .shopping thing has more potential to explode into more
subgroups over time than the .market thing -- and although they're similar
in terms of people buying things and posting lots of short-term data,
shopping threads about sales and promotions tend to generate a lot more
group discussion, whereas WTB's and WTT's tend to generate more offline
private e-mail discussion.

OTOH, the information presented in .shopping is more 'drive by' than
what's in .market.  People make an announcement (in .shopping) that
they've found a special, or whatever, and that's basically it.
Sometimes there's a follow-on thread, but it's usually quite short.  In
.market, sellers have to repost (hopefully using followup's) until their
auction is complete, or they've made their trades, or sold their parts.

What are the arguments again -for- having shopping stuff inside the .market
hierarchy?

Convenience, convenience, convenience.  Not that it should be overrated.

Oh, yeah.  It builds a deeper ng-tree, rather than a wider one.

Steve