 Administrative / General / 671
Re: Proper place to post US S@H Phone Specials
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 02:47:37 GMT

cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley) writes:

Hrmmm, not so sure it would be pure noise for non-U.S. people.  I
think the US S@H specials can help to foster the formation of trading
partnerships among all the world's Legomaniacs.

"Hey, I'm in the UK and I saw this was on special - how about I trade
you $xx.xx worth of these UK-only sets for an equivalent amount of
this set on special?"

[...]
I think followup-to: lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade is a sure thing.
Not so sure a new group needs to be formed, and not convinced
.announce would be such a noisy thing.

Well, give it a shot in .announce (for better or for worse) and see what
people think.  If nobody complains, and a lot of people are happy about it
(and I think most people will be), then it's probably the right formula.

So how about--?

   Newsgroups: lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade,lugnet.us,lugnet.announce

Justification for including the .announce group:  (1) the specials list each
Monday morning actually -is- an announcement; (2) it's not an auction
announcement; (3) the list you provide is a useful and reliable service with
very widespread appeal; (4) the announcements themselves are low traffic;
(5) follow-ups are directed to a topical area; (6) .announce is a great
group to get by mail and the specials list is right in line with that.

My only concern about including .announce is whether it encourages an
increase in market-type traffic in the .announce newsgroup.  Obviously it's
a problem if 5 people a day start announcing their want lists or trade lists
there, but things probably won't get that far astray.  I think as long as
it's clear that the S@H specials list is a regular, weekly posting (which is
evident from the date ranges in the subject line) and that it's an
independent informational posting for the benefit of fellow enthusiasts (as
opposed to someone pushing their own stuff in the .announce group), then
nobody is going to get the wrong idea and it'll be a Good Thing overall.

--Todd