 Administrative / General / 711
Re: Proper place to post US S@H Phone Specials
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 14:27:31 GMT

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999 10:34:40 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote:

Advantages of a .lsahs group:  (1) covers all of LSAHS -- not just phone
specials; (2) good in terms of FAQ.

Minor point: you're thinking of a .lsah group, not .lsahs.  .lsah would
cover all of S@H, .lsahs would be just the specials.

Disadvantages of a .lsahs group:  (1) obscure ng name; (2) covers more than
specials -- less cool by mail.

Advantages of a .specials group:  (1) wider coverage than only LEGO SAHS.

Disadvantages of a .specials group:  (1) loss of opportunity to bring
together S@H discussions under one roof; (2) covers more than S@H specials,
which may or may not be cool by mail.

How about .lsah.specials?  Then at some time a 'real' .lsah group could
be created, if there was sufficient need.

Related question:  Is there a word in the same vein as "specials" that
encompasses all of the following:  (a) S@H phone specials, (b) %-off sales
at retail chains, (c) repeatable [not one-of-kind] FOTW's, and (d) coupon
awareness?

Specials, discounts, sales, reductions.

I can't get my brain un-stuck from dearly favoring the idea of a separate ng
for "all things S@H" -- even if traffic is low

I agree, even if it's only to give S@H a special place in the FAQ-tree.

-- but I'm not sure that it
really truly belongs in the .market subtree.  The .market tree was designed
as a high-traffic, high-noise, person-to-person marketplace area rather than
a shopping discussion area.

Most shopping discussion is highly time-sensitive (retail sales are
typically only good for a week), location-sensitive (geography,
phone-in, online), low-size threads, high-noise.  That sounds like a
sub-group of .market.

Let's revisit the idea of the .shopping tree which was brought up in
September -- I forget why it got canned anyway.

.shopping sounds like a reasonable approach as well.  But I guess I keep
thinking that .market could end up a good distance away from .shopping,
in terms of the list of groups.

Steve