 Administrative / General / 708
Re: Proper place to post US S@H Phone Specials
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 04:55:18 GMT

cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley) writes:

Hrmmm, not so sure it would be pure noise for non-U.S. people.  I
think the US S@H specials can help to foster the formation of trading
partnerships among all the world's Legomaniacs.

"Hey, I'm in the UK and I saw this was on special - how about I trade
you $xx.xx worth of these UK-only sets for an equivalent amount of
this set on special?"

[...]
I think followup-to: lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade is a sure thing.
Not so sure a new group needs to be formed, and not convinced
.announce would be such a noisy thing.

"I been tinkin'" about this a lot tonight and want to get it resolved real
quick so Mike has a place to post tomorrow morning...

As I understand it, there is a UK S@H service as well as the US S@H service.
(At least, if the UK SAHS doesn't exist today, I know for sure that it at
least existed a few years ago.)  And there is also a Canadian SAHS, right?

At any rate, considering factors such as a multi-ng-mega/meta-FAQ and future
expansion of ng trees, as well as the encapsulation inside the .market ng
tree, and the greater picture in terms of worldwide S@H outlets, I really
think that lugnet.market.lsahs is a shoe-in.

I'd like to see it be a general discussion group, with an emphasis on...

   - Announcements of weekly phone specials
   - Announcements of availability (sets/catalogs)
   - Other miscellaneous aspects of S@H

...and with a de-emphasis on in-depth discussions about sets and themes.

I don't think follow-ups should be directed to other groups by default, but
tangential threads probably should graduate to other groups.  For example, a
spin-off thread discussing 3225 might be moved to the .trains group, and
certainly someone wanting to buy a set via someone else would take that over
to .market.buy-sell-trade.

Although discussions sometimes make sense in the .buy-sell-trade and
auction groups, their true intent is as venues for arranging person-to-
person exchanges -- with lots of random noise when you look back at it over
time, and not much signal except "in the moment" -- or data mining.

One or three or ten years down the road -- depending on traffic, user
population, and necessity, of course -- I think it's remotely possible that
.market ng tree may eventually grow to something like this:

   lugnet.market
                .auction
                        .ebay
                        .theory
                        .ubid
                        .yahoo
                        etc.

                .buy-sell-trade

                .lsahs
                      .us
                      .uk

                .retail
                       .caldor
                       .etoys
                       .k-mart
                       .target
                       .toys-r-us
                       .wal-mart
                       etc.

Don't get me wrong -- I realize that's all way-overkill at this point -- and
we'd probably need 10x or more traffic before anything that big made sense
-- but I don't want to see doors closed to those sorts of growth options.

I think the whole aura/legend/lore/mysticism of LSAHS (a.k.a. "S@H") is
large enough to warrant its own ng, especially from the following
viewpoints:

   1.  Subscribe to .market.lsahs by e-mail; read .market.buy-sell-trade
       via real newsreader.

   2.  Better organization inside FAQ -- this way, S@H (deservedly IMHO)
       gets its whole own FAQ (as an offshoot of the multi-ng-mega/
       meta-FAQ).

   3.  Encourage wider information gathering/sharing of S@H info in other
       countries such as UK, Canada, Germany, etc.

   4.  More convenient, focused, and meaningful feedback for TLG.

--Todd