 Administrative / General / 12637
  Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

Dear Lugnet, Following the recent events concerning Administrator responsibility to the community, I have decided to resign my position. Several users have publically called my motives into question - have accused me of using my Admin powers for a (...) (19 years ago, 18-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX) !!

  Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

Lenny and Kevin, I've been (intentionally) out of the loop on internal processes for over a year now. But I want you to know that I see your posts, and that this makes me sad. I feel bad that you were hurt by the community's comments. I remember (...) (19 years ago, 18-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

  Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

(...) I am saddened to see someone of your caliber having to make a choice such as this. I remember you coming on board LUGNET as a newbie and have watched you grow both in your building abilities and your contributions to the community. It is (...) (19 years ago, 18-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX) !

  Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

(...) I find myself agreeing with this completely. I have had discussions about this with some other people on this and I was told that there was a personal story behind that particular decision. LUGNET decisions should not be based on personal (...) (19 years ago, 18-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX) !

  Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

(snip) (...) Duane, Well said...I think you've captured things beautifully here... and I think everybody needs to read your comments, and think about what it means. Scott Lyttle (19 years ago, 18-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

In lugnet.admin.general, Leonard Hoffman wrote: As with David, I was not going to reply till I saw my name in lights. (...) And I stand behind that 100%, it was a true and valid point and still is. And the fact that my post was spotlighted shows (...) (19 years ago, 18-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX) !

  Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

Lenny, please don't go. We need good people here to help grow community. Perhaps if we all shared more about building these kinds of things wouldn't happen. I have always felt that way. Please don't blame yourself. I think Felix put it best some (...) (19 years ago, 18-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Sophie wrote: Good post. (...) Sounds like a perfect job for you. You could do a whole series--a la the little blue bot, little red bot etc--but one could have a brick for a head (little lugnet admin-a-bot), one with a (...) (19 years ago, 18-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

(...) Can't wait to see the little JLUG admin-a-bot ;) ROSCO (19 years ago, 18-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

(...) We could have a Smack bot, a TOU bot, a Draconian bot and a banish to .duplo bot. my fav? the go post to someone's MOC and get out of off-topic debate bot. Comes with big stick and uses Technic Turntables. e (19 years ago, 18-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

(...) Sorry, I don't build for (URL). e (19 years ago, 18-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

(...) This is often claimed, but I'm not sure if there's evidence to support it... it seems to me that there are less posts and posters than there were two years ago. Perhaps one of the Admins could provide some statistics to support the alleged (...) (19 years ago, 19-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

(...) (Richie's crude analysis snipped) I wonder how much of the drop in traffic here is due to the theme-specific boards like FBTB, classic-castle, classic-space, and bzpower siphoning posters away from here? I suspect that the influence of these (...) (19 years ago, 19-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Outside traffic [was: Another resignation]

(...) Growth can be defined many ways. One way is number of posts (which -has- dropped from what it was four years ago). But then, those posters may have become more concise in their messages. And perhaps individual groups, like robotics, have (...) (19 years ago, 19-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Outside traffic [was: Another resignation]

(...) It shouldn't be hard to imlpement, from a technical point of view. Need to keep in mind though, that posts coming in won't be authenticated like LUGNET posts are - but we could just mark them like we do the robotics list... I think it would (...) (19 years ago, 19-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Outside traffic [was: Another resignation]

(...) I think this is a brilliant idea. I don't get over to Classic Castle, Classic Space, BZ, FBTB, etc. Recentralizing posts would be wonderful Dave K (19 years ago, 19-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Outside traffic [was: Another resignation]

(...) Now if only someone filled out the form to have it added to the suggestion list :) (19 years ago, 19-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Outside traffic [was: Another resignation]

(...) A couple of issues come to mind. First, some of these LUGNET-expatriate groups allow behavior not in-line with LUGNET's ToS. So pulling their traffic into LUGNET would result in LUGNET hosting posts that might violate ToS. Second, the existing (...) (19 years ago, 19-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Outside traffic [was: Another resignation]

(...) Instead of a number of top-level, one-ng trees, how about clustering these feeds under a single 'external sources' group. Something like lugnet.external-feed...sic-space? Or lugnet.loc.external....ass-space? (...) I'm not sure about pulling a (...) (19 years ago, 19-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Outside traffic [was: Another resignation]

(...) Right - have a top level group to host outside feeds. (...) Oh - I meant for each feed do one or the other, not both. (19 years ago, 19-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

(...) This kinda got me curious. So I did some statting: (URL) Some of the data was tweaked slightly because groups were shuffled around or added with pre-existing content. Like when the handyboard group was added that already contained 6000+ posts, (...) (19 years ago, 19-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX) !

  Re: Outside traffic [was: Another resignation]

(...) That would make threaded conversations hard to follow, wouldn't it? Steve (19 years ago, 19-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Outside traffic [was: Another resignation]

(...) How come? If the CS forums gets pulled into lugnet.space.C-S, how is it any more difficult to follow than if it's pulled into lugnet.external.C-S? (19 years ago, 19-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

(...) (snip) (...) Dave... great job on the chart. I just wondering...about the 'major high peaks' on the chart. In other words what topics/posts made or cause the high peaks? If there is a general way to know. -Abner (19 years ago, 19-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Suggestion List Form Was somethign else

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger wrote: <snip> (...) Form 22-31.A Request of Extended Service LUGNET Administration The party of the first, one David Koudys, respectfully requests that the party of the second, one LUGNET administration/enhancement (...) (19 years ago, 19-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Outside traffic [was: Another resignation]

(...) Sorry, maybe I misunderstood. I thought you meant that (for instance) lugnet.space.C-S would be outgoing, and lugnet.external.C-S would be incoming. Of course, if the outgoing messages end up being echoed to the incoming feed, then everything (...) (19 years ago, 19-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

(...) rtlToronto posting sprees... as if it could be anything else... Dave K (19 years ago, 19-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Suggestion List Form Was somethign else

(...) Tsk. You forgot to properly cross-post (XPOST) and set the followup-To (FUT), neglecting to include the proper group for suggestions, namely lugnet.admin.general. Please get a new form and try again. You'll have to return to the back of the (...) (19 years ago, 19-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Move thread to proper NG form wasRe: Suggestion List Form Was somethign else

Form 1D-10T Request for moving thread form LUGNET Administration The party of the first, one sheepish David Koudys, respectfully requests that the party of the second, one LUGNET administration team, move the previous post from the first (...) (19 years ago, 19-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

(...) Um, it was kind of varied. I started off checking out the high peaks, and investigating them so I could denote what "major event" was going on to cause high posting frequency. It worked great with my first attempt (Brad announcing Lego (...) (19 years ago, 19-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Outside traffic [was: Another resignation]

(...) Hey, Figured I'd throw some random thoughts out on this area. I probably should make clear that I am not speaking here as a C-C admin, and have not discussed this with other C-C admins. Just speaking as an AFOL with memberships in multiple (...) (19 years ago, 19-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Outside traffic

(...) Yeah, I know the ToS caused some smaller groups to go elsewhere. (it's worth mentioning that some of 'em -really- miss the LUGNET interface/mechanics.) For such a case, I was imagining visual indicator of activity - like a meter or (...) (19 years ago, 19-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

(...) Indeed. However, you may be missing the point of my request. I'm not saying that lugnet needs to increase its posting numbers, or active posters, I'm questioning the 'growth' which is claimed to require more zealous Administration. Is there (...) (19 years ago, 19-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Outside traffic

In lugnet.admin.general, Suzanne Rich Green wrote: <snip> (...) <snip> (...) Hey! I resemble that remark!! :p ((URL) good news is that Suz is posting more! Dave K (19 years ago, 20-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Outside traffic [was: Another resignation]

(...) Sorry to respond to myself (I wish there was some "edit post" function here). If I could clarify what I meant--speaking only as a member of various forums, not as an admin on one of those: I think streaming all of these various forum posts (...) (19 years ago, 20-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Outside traffic [was: Another resignation]

(...) This made me LOL. It's a good point. However!, you forget that we here are Compartmentalized Dorks! ;-) -Suz (19 years ago, 20-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

(...) Just a few references below. Keep in mind that growth doesn't necessarily translate to increased traffic or bandwidth usage. It also means the number of newsgroups required to support the needs and desires of the community. (14 URLs) -Duane (19 years ago, 20-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Outside traffic [was: Another resignation]

(...) I think having the *option* is a good thing. I check a bunch of other forums on a regular basis. Having a centralized place to look at them would be awesome. But I (for instance) don't read bzpower. So yes, if I saw BZP flooding everywhere, (...) (19 years ago, 20-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Outside traffic [was: Another resignation]

(...) ... (...) If the feeds were in their own groups (all under subtrees, like .ext.bzp, .ext.c-s), the skip filter will take care of all that already. No need for new preferences :) (19 years ago, 20-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

(...) Yes, new groups. But how has the number of *active* groups changed? (...) Server load issues, technical rather than Administrative I think. (More Administration doesn't solve problem) (...) Telling us about changes. (...) Telling us about (...) (19 years ago, 20-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

(...) I would say that I was never "out of control" - especially since just about everything I've done, I've had the support of the other Admins. But then, we're getting into the semantics of "out of control." (...) My message was due to (...) (19 years ago, 21-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

(...) Define "active". Does activity require a specific number of posts per day for a particular group? A specific number of views per day? A specific number of e-mail subscriptions? Who is to set the baseline for comparison? This growth, or (...) (19 years ago, 22-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Another resignation: I'm stepping down.

(...) I don't know. But, if things are going to be justified by this 'growth', then I think it'd be a good idea if someone spelt out what that growth was. Presumably those that are claiming this 'growth' requires/justifies for Administraion have (...) (19 years ago, 23-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)