 Star Wars / 1492
Re: Could TLG Answer our prayers?...A Millenium Falcon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 15:07:09 GMT

Ben Fleskes wrote in message ...
A few comments, keep in mind, dimensions of the Millennium Falcon vary by as
much as 40% depending on what source to use.  But if you scale it based on the
8 studs as the width of the cockpit you come up with number pretty close to
what Derek mentions below.

If it's correctly to scale.  As Steve pointed out, a cockpit to overall size
ratio of 1:5 would be the minimum necessary without it looking ridiculous.  I
doubt TLG would be as concerned about exact dimensions as Derek was.  If they
can make a model look good enough to sell, they will.

Regarding a six stud wide cockpit.  That would work if you had a square cross
section, but the cockpit is supposed to be round.  Thus you need a six stud
wide area the full sitting height of the minifig.  That drives the width up to
8 studs in diameter.

Actually you need a 5 stud width at the butt level of the cockpit, 6.?? at the
arm level, and 4.5-5 stud width at the head level.  Hopefully Chewie will be
taller than a normal minifig, so some extra clearance would be needed.  I'll
play around in LDraw with a couple of minifigs and a cylindar and let you know
what I come up with.

-John Van