 Robotics / 26188
Re: Have you got your NXT yet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2006 12:44:09 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Philippe Hurbain wrote:

   I can’t seem to get a parallel processes within a loop. The NXTG software doesn’t let me.

Unfortunately, you’re right...

I’m not so sure. Try the following technique on your copy, in case something is broken in my version of the editor. To make a parallel sequence, you just drop an orphan block (one not attached to an existing sequence) and then wire a sequence beam to it by holding down shift while clicking on an existing sequence beam to draw out a new one. The catch? Those elastic loops shrink-fit around the inner code, leaving no “blank” sheet inside the loop to drop the orphan block. What you need is a “crowbar” (I think Kevin introduced me to the term) to open up the loop:

Notice the crowbar (I think) needs to be attached to the primary sequence in the loop. Do all the wiring etc with the crowbar in place (and you could expand the crowbar still further by dropping things into it), and then when the program is finished pull out (delete) the crowbar. The loop will shrink to fit when the crowbar is removed. It may (for several parallel sequences) hide some of the code. But it will still work. In some cases, you can simple open the datahub of a Draw block to get enough room to drop a simple second sequence.

Note that this example doesn’t actually do what I thought it would do. I would have thought that the loop does not wait for the completion of the lower sequence, but it seems it does. To put it another way, the loop only loops after *both* sequences within it finish.

-- Brian Davis