 Robotics / 26181
Re: Have you got your NXT yet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2006 19:27:21 GMT

On Jul 4, 2006, at 12:28 AM, Zachary Benz wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, Tim Rueger wrote:

Mac support!  Woo-hoo!  And it doesn't suck!

On my Mac, the software installed its items
into the directory I specified ("Applications"),
which meant I ended up with the NXT app, the
"engine" dir, and other items in my Applications
folder.  I moved them into a subfolder afterward,
and the NXT app ran fine.

One very big caveat about this - at the end of the installer process
on a Mac it
runs chmod -R 777 on the contents of the folder installed into.  Thus,
every
single thing in your Applications directory (and all subdirectories,
including
bundles) now has full access permissions for everyone.  Running "Repair
Permissions" in disk utility will only fix those apps with receipts in
/Library/Receipts (i.e. mostly just Apple apps).

Even worse, the uninstaller script that is created for you will delete
the
entire folder that you installed into.  Thus, your entire Applications
folder
would be deleted if you run it!  Simply moving the script to a new
folder
doesn't fix things - the directory it's going to delete is hard coded
in the
script!

Bottom line - if you're installing on a Mac, just accept all the
defaults.  You
could be very sad otherwise (as I was).

Ye gods!  Those are some huge bugs.  Is there any way
to report them to Lego or NI?  (Guess I spoke too soon
about good Mac support.)

I'm repairing permissons now, and I've fixed up my
uninstaller shell script.  But this is a big problem that
needs to be addressed ASAP.

-Tim