 Robotics / 26186
Re: Have you got your NXT yet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2006 04:11:03 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Tim Rueger wrote:
Ye gods!  Those are some huge bugs.  Is there any way
to report them to Lego or NI?  (Guess I spoke too soon
about good Mac support.)

I sent this to Lego Tech Support:
(http://www.lego.com/eng/service/techsupportcontactus.asp)

There is a serious bug in the Lego Mindstorms NXT software for Macintosh.  At
the end of the installation process, the software runs "chmod -R 777" on the
contents of the folder into which you have decided to install.  Due to a lack of
clarity in the installer about where the software will actually be installed I
chose to specify the "Applications" folder on my computer to install into (I am
not the only person to have done this, based on discussions on lugnet.com).  As
a result,  the permissions on ALL of the files in my Applications folder,
including all subdirectories and bundles, were changed to 777.  Running "Repair
Permissions" in disk utility does not totally remedy the problem, as this only
fixes applications with receipts in /Library/Receipts (i.e. mainly Apple apps).

Even worse, the uninstaller script created by the installer hard codes the
directory that you chose to install into as the directory to delete during
uninstall.  Thus if I had run the script, my entire Applications folder would
have been wiped out.

This is a serious problem that needs to be fixed.  I would suggest the following
changes to the installer:

1) Make it very clear where the default install directory is located.  It is in
fact located in a Lego Mindstorms NXT subdirectory of the Applications folder,
but this is completely nonobvious.  All you see is that it will install into
"Lego Mindstorms NXT", with no indication of where this will be placed.  This
lack of clarity is what led some of us to switch the install path to
"Applications"

2) Run chmod only on those files installed by the installer (rather than blindly
changing permissions on everything in the current directory and below).  Better
yet, don't use chmod at all!  Use the installer's built in capabilities to set
the permissions on the files installed correctly.

2) Make the uninstall script uninstall only those files installed by
specifically specifying them, and in a relative path manner (i.e. the files you
care about should be in the same path as the installer script, so don't hard
code a path).  Definitely do not blindly delete an entire directory!  You don't
know where the person decided to install, so there could be all sorts of things
in that directory.

Thanks!

I'm repairing permissons now, and I've fixed up my
uninstaller shell script.  But this is a big problem that
needs to be addressed ASAP.

Note that just running "Repair Permissions" in disk utility won't fix all your
permissions - it only fixes apps with receipts in /Library/Receipts (i.e. mainly
Apple's apps)

-Zach "The Lego Maniac"